How do you know when you're ready to take it?

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've been studying for 2 months now, for the CCENT. I feel very comfortable BUT every time I go back over the stuff I didn't touch for a while (theory) I always find material I already forgot about.

So my question is how did you know when you're ready? I didn't invest in practice exams yet as most of them are just way to expensive (feel free to proof me wrong)

Any advise highly appreciated.

Thank you,

**EDIT***

Oh and is their a list available with the contents tested at the exam? I already read the ICND2 book and it's hard to separate what I need to know for the ICND1 and what not.. I know I'll need to know all the rest for ICND2 anyways, but for now I'd be happy to leave my brain with the ICND1 stuff and concentrate on it. I know on the CISCO page I can look up the broad topics, but nothing specific like what protocols do I need to know in and out for ICND1.. what routing protocols etc.

Thanks again
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take a practice exam.

That's how most people judge if they're ready or not. Othertimes, you just gotta roll a hard 6 and seat the test. I did the later because I felt confident - failed :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    practice test and study the weak areas and then go for real exam.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I just knew when I was ready. I didn't do any practice exams or anything, I just felt like I knew the content.

I don't think there is anything apart from the exam content: 640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems but for routing protocols it mentions RIP, it doesn't mention OSPF or EIGRP as does the ICND2 exam.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Take a practice exam.

That's how most people judge if they're ready or not. Othertimes, you just gotta roll a hard 6 and seat the test. I did the later because I felt confident - failed :P

Totally agree with the practice exams. You'll get an idea of what areas you have weaknesses in. I learned that the hard way by barely failing CCNA: Sec without taking a practice exam first.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
    I found most practice exams harder than the real thing. That being said, when I thought I was ready, I just went and took it. It took me two tries on both ICND1 and two tries on ICND2. After taking the first, I was pretty sure what I lacked. HTH

J
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got the CCENT on the first try, but mostly because I was studying on and off for over year. Just didn't get serious until the beginning of this year. I would encourage you to read through the exam content for the 640-822 and make sure you understand all of the bullet points before you take the exam.

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

That's what I'm currently doing for INCD2, which I have failed twice now by the way. I was in to much of a hurry and had way to much on my mind at the time. I'll kill and drag it home in 2013 though. ;)
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your help once again. Looks like there's no way around practice exams for me.

I can't do anything wrong with Boson exams?
    Boson is great.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You know you're ready when all the labs are boring because you can do them off the top of your head and you can do any subnet problem quickly and easily.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    I've just browsed the Boson site, if I can't afford both, should I go for the ExSim-Max or Boson Netsim? Is the difference that one is contains no simulations whereas Netsim contains only sims?

Thanks again
    NetSim is the simulator - just the simulator. Well it comes with labs to do with the simulator. But that's it.

Sim-Max is the practice test: 640-802 CCNA Practice Exam | Boson

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    NetSim is the simulator - just the simulator. Well it comes with labs to do with the simulator. But that's it.

Sim-Max is the practice test: 640-802 CCNA Practice Exam | Boson

Ok got it, so if I have the Cisco Packet Tracer, I should be fine. I'm actually looking for the ICND1 Practice Exam only but if I can set a filter in the exam you've linked to only test ICND1 content, the CCNA practice Exam would be the better choice. If that's possible?
  • bushwackbushwack Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do you know when you're ready to take it?

When Routing, Switching and of course Subnetting are the main casts of your Dream, for 1 week straight.
    Make your Passion your Profession
  • NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The practice exam is the best way to know when you are ready.
    After I get 100% to practice exams I went or the certification and got first attempt.
    Btw it is very helpful to watch the video tutorials from CBTNuggets by Jeremy Cioara