Bootcamp vs Time

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys, I am planning to get my CCNP R&S, but with my current job it is going to be tough. I travel a lot, and I work as a network engineer (wireless). Therefore, studying for my CCNP would be impossible. I could self study, but it has has been over a year now since I started studying for ROUTE exam, and took the test last month and failed it. With my current job, it would take me forever to get my NP.
Now, I thought of to take a two weeks vacation and attend the ROUTE and SWITCH bootcamp for $6000. TSHOOT is another $3000 so if I can pass the ROUTE and SWITCH, I should be able to pass TSHOOT. Another $3000 is a lot of money already. Well, I sent an email to the bootcamp customer service about how much would it cost me to take their CCNP bootcamp and I haven't heard from them yet.

I am going to pay this myself since my company is not going to pay for it (not job related). My passion is in R&S and really would like to get it, and I know it would help me with my career down the road. I think it is a good investment for my career since time is my enemy right now.

Guys what's your opinion?

Also, can you guys recommend a great place to take bootcamps? If the location is in MD, that would be awesome. I think they would provide hotels and food, but not 100% sure yet.

Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Bootcamps are rough. My previous employer sent me to a NP bootcamp a few years ago It was 2 weeks constant study.

In such a short time they cover the objectives and that's it. They also expect you know of most/some of the topics already because they run through it fast. I spent at least 9-10 hours in the classroom and 4 hours labbing the stuff for the duration of the bootcamp. They will help you get the certificate but you still might be missing a facts afterwards.

(Back then it was rough but nowadays I can handle that kind of study)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I think I can handle that. I have been studying ROUTE for over a year now, but it is on and off. I was watching the INE bootcamp and the students seems like don't know what's going on. I compared myself to them and it feels like I am going to do a good job.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I've been on a couple before and if I had taken the exam I'd have been very surprised if I'd passed. They don't go deep enough on the theory. They provide a good introduction to the topics in the same way the CBT videos do.
    Wait, so while the instructor was teaching you, were you able to test the commands while he/she was explaining it or all the testing were done after the lecture?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    When I did the instructor went through lecture then we went through labs on the lesson he went over, but every place might be different.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    What do you think the advantage of going to a bootcamp ($8000) from watching a bootcamp videos like INE ($300)?
    I do have a full lab, so labbing is not an issue, just time.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    You can ask questions and it forces you to sit there and listen for the whole day, 5 days straight. I would never spend my money on one, and I've not seen anyone who has paid for themselves to be there.

It might be advantageous if you don't have access to the equipment yourself. I'm thinking certain appliances that you can't get a copy of without paying for it directly.