Passed EX200

BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
Last week I've passed EX200.
Most of my study material came from Nightshade's book and Michael Jang's book for RHEL 6. I did do some googling when I thought that some thing weren't clear.
RH changed something at the exam (altough I dont know what but my instructor said "Look at that -some changes" when he was preparing the computers).
Time is sufficient, I took my time and checked every item after I solved and after I've finished i had about 25 minutes to strugle on a single item that was not working (I've forgot some config options).
They've touched allmost all objectives specified on the webpage for RHCSA. The other guys in the room had different requirements so I think that all objectives on the webpage were touched.
The instructor was very helpful if your question was the right one.
I will NOT provide any tasks requested at the exam.

After taking this exam I know why the RH exam's are so respected. You can't ****, you can't google. You know it and pass or you don't know it and fail. You have the time to look for a switch in the man pages but you have to know what you're looking for or the time would be insuficient and you WILL fail.

I suggest leave 10 minutes for rebooting and final check. I doesnt matter if you solve another item in those 10 minutes if all previously ok dont work after reboot.

Time to focus on the EX300

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! hopefully I can be there soon. Curious if you know of any resources to practice Autofs and LDAP. I can't really figure out a way to practice those.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ironlung

Both of those books specified in the first posts have pretty good labs on autofs. Autofs it should not be a problem for you if you do those. I also found on google some info not present on any of the book (browsable mode for autofs) and some good examples. Anyway, if you do the labs from those books or some examples found on the net you should be fine.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations !

my RHCE experience is similar to yours, I felt that the exam touched almost all of the objectives, which is great icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Well done Bodanel, congratulations! Hopefully I will go back into my lab mode and work through tasks and examples in those books you mentioned.
    By the way, some negative feedback on Amazon regarding NightShade's book are totally uncalled for, but there are parts of the book that deserve criticism.
    I agree that some parts are worth criticism but some guys on the Amazon just let the frustration acumulating during study hours come out and dont manage to evaluate corectly the book. While its not the best book on the subject it's a pretty good book and it was realeased about 2 month ahead of M Jang's book which also has some negative points.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Let's also not forget that it was the first book I ever wrote icon_wink.gif The criticisms help to improve on further writing, but I agree some of the complaints/comments were just stupid (and some well deserved)

Just an FYI - Working on getting many of the issues/mistakes in the book fixed.
  • Linux00800Linux00800 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!

I will be attending the RHCSA bootcamp course next week. I have been studying everyday with Michael Jang's and NightShades book.. and I will study, study, practice, study up to the exam.

I really like Michael Jang's book.. I usually read a chapter and then do the labs on my virtual machines (CentOS6), after that i will read on the same subject in Nightsahdes book. I find Nightshades book great for quick study, I usually take it on the road with me and make my Wife drive while I read..:D. I feel Michale Jang's book is more in depth and i really like the labs.... all in all I like both books and think they're great study material and a good reference on the job.

Nightshade,

Well done for a first book!

I'm hoping to have a great experience in the RHCSA course.

Now back to the book(s) icon_study.gif...
  • shan_leo63shan_leo63 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Bodanel,

can you please let me know how many chapters should i study from Micheal Jang study guide book for RHCSA exam only ???
    Actually I've used both Jang book and also nightshade's book. I've paid my exams from my very own pocket and I wanted to be sure that I pass the exam on first try. Another things is that I've already had some linux experience and I was not afraid of the command line.

The RHCSA portion of Jang book should be enough if you do other exercises besides those presented in the book. Try to create youre own exercises based on the objectives specified on RH pages - that's what worked for me. I've passed both exams on the first try.
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How do i make a booking for the ex200 ?, the red hat web site is not very helpful.
    I've mailed the local partener. Fortunately, this is in the same town I live.
    where can i buy a digital copy of the night shade book?.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    waragi wrote: »
    How do i make a booking for the ex200 ?, the red hat web site is not very helpful.

Red Hat | Individual Exam Sessions
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Thanks.
    Singapore , us And uk seem to be The only writing places.
    Although i swear I saw a similar page with same prices for Netherlands and Germany but marked as training.
    Anybody have any further references to the night shade book?.