Passed 930 on second attempt

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
I went back and studied hard on the things that gave me trouble the first go round, I was lucky to get some sims very similar to what I had on the first exam, so obviously I had had time to reflect on what I should had done differently, I was MUCH more prepaired subnetting wise this time as I spent lots more time practicing that, I think I am even getting decent at summarization.

The first time around I paniced when I started spending what I thought was too much time on the Sim's I had always heard CCNA is such a time crunch, so I gave up on the Sim's too soon and am sure I failed the bulk of these, sadly the first time I finished with 20 minutes to spare.

Anyhow, I got it done, this is probably as far as I will go with Cisco, I get to work with actual network gear only 5 or so times a year when I am deploying a Vmware environment and I really wanted CCNA level knowledge so I didnt feel so unsure when I was configuring Cisco gear or designing things.

My study routine was as follows.

1. One week CCNA bootcamp at global knowledge.
2. Packet tracer prolly 30 hours in here easy.
3. Transcender.
4. Cbt nuggets which I have owned for CCNA for a long time, so I think they are a bit dated, but still relevant.

Comments

• PsychoCiscoPsychoCisco Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! :) didn't you use any books at all? and how long have you studied for?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JasonITJasonIT Member Posts: 114
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, Good luck with your future studies. I was pretty much going to use a similar method. I'm thinking for ICND1 CBT nuggets. Packet Tracer and Trancender from the CBT nuggets site.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! :) didn't you use any books at all? and how long have you studied for?

Honestly I didn't really use any books, I did consult a few books here or there, but as far as reading one cover to cover like I normally do for an exam I did not, as for how long I studied, I took the class back in late July, and studied pretty regular since then, I had alot of work travel between then and now, so all told I think with the class I put in 200 hours, and the class basically jump started my whole studies, without the class I would have been in the 300 hour range to do it all on my own.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Honestly I didn't really use any books, I did consult a few books here or there, but as far as reading one cover to cover like I normally do for an exam I did not, as for how long I studied, I took the class back in late July, and studied pretty regular since then, I had alot of work travel between then and now, so all told I think with the class I put in 200 hours, and the class basically jump started my whole studies, without the class I would have been in the 300 hour range to do it all on my own.

Chalk one win for the bootcamp camp. I think someone with a lot of background can benefit from a bootcamp especially if they use it to kick off their studies and then if they subsequently study and then pass.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    grats on the pass!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams