Christmas came early.............CCNA!

Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
As I stated in my last thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/82276-successfully-passed-icnd1.html I was seeking to pass ICND2 before Christmas this year so I could finish 2012 with my goal of becoming a CCNA. I'm happy to report that I took the exam this morning (11/29) and passed with a 846 :D

There was a definite step up in difficulty from ICND1 to 2, but now I'm at the point where I enjoy the simulation questions and hate the multiple choice. My only real complaint about ICND2 is that you're only given 75 minutes to finish as compared to 90 minutes for ICND1, and I ended up finishing the last question with 40 seconds to spare.

So for the time being, I'm taking a small break from studying after spending the last 3 months doing little but Cisco because my brain is fried. Next year will begin the next step in my journey, the CCNP icon_study.gif.
11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice, Congrats!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• OscedumirOscedumir Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent work Iceman, congratulations!

What was your studying material?
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Congrats! :)
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oscedumir wrote: »
    Excellent work Iceman, congratulations!

What was your studying material?

CBT Nuggets ICND2
    Chris Bryant ICND2
    Wendell Odom's ICND2 book.
    The rest of Todd Lammle's CCNA book (I read the chapters I skipped for ICND1).
    A couple hours of labs each day; I typically reviewed what I watched/read and did it myself on actual equipment.

I found out pretty quick that Packet Tracer had reached its limits, so I stopped using it and just focused on my lab gear.......which led me to find out that two of my routers can't do OSPFv3 due to hardware limitations while I was doing IPv6 labs.

At first I thought I just had to use another IOS image that supported it, but after looking it up on Cisco's Feature Navigator tool, all those images require more memory than my 2612s (which are both maxed at 64 MB) support. My 2621XM can handle it, but it's hard to learn a routing protocol with only one router icon_rolleyes.gif. I have to obtain more gear for my CCNP studies anyway, so it all worked out in the end.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you post your new geek por- for all of us to see?

I mean the your family of new routers.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Boom! Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! Nice way to end the year!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Iceman25k -Cisco Claus has been good to you this year! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Did you post your new geek por- for all of us to see?

I mean the your family of new routers.

Maybe once I fill out my lab rack, I'll update my picture in the "Post your lab pics" thread icon_smile.gif. The only new addition so far was the 2621XM.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations Iceman! I agree about ICND2 really ramping up difficulty, but to me it was way more fun than ICND1.

Good job again!
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats!! Good luck on the NP!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NA should open up some serious doors.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Big ups! Celebrate ! And Enjoy!
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Iceman25k wrote: »
    CBT Nuggets ICND2
    Chris Bryant ICND2
    Wendell Odom's ICND2 book.
    The rest of Todd Lammle's CCNA book (I read the chapters I skipped for ICND1).
    A couple hours of labs each day; I typically reviewed what I watched/read and did it myself on actual equipment.

I found out pretty quick that Packet Tracer had reached its limits, so I stopped using it and just focused on my lab gear.......which led me to find out that two of my routers can't do OSPFv3 due to hardware limitations while I was doing IPv6 labs.

At first I thought I just had to use another IOS image that supported it, but after looking it up on Cisco's Feature Navigator tool, all those images require more memory than my 2612s (which are both maxed at 64 MB) support. My 2621XM can handle it, but it's hard to learn a routing protocol with only one router icon_rolleyes.gif. I have to obtain more gear for my CCNP studies anyway, so it all worked out in the end.

Good job. I plan on skipping the two big berthas that are ODom and Sybex and am going with McQuerry's ICND2 self study guide along with maybe CBT Nuggets ICND2. Studying for CCNA but taking two part exams.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Congratulations! Good luck on the CCNP
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with future studies!!