Options

Roderick Smith New (2013) books for Linux+ and LPIC1? Are They the Same BooK?

hazizhaziz Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will be taking the Linux+ exam in January, with the intention of doing the triple certification with LPIC1 and the Novell certification. I am currently using the Linux+ study guide by Roderick Smith, but noticed recently that he is coming out with two new books to be released in January:

CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102

LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102)

Is there a meaningful difference between the two books? Isn't the Linux+ exam now set by the LPI even if it is administered by CompTIA?

Has anybody seen evaluation copies of the books? Are they are reprints of the same material with this just being clever marketing by the publisher? If the author monitors this board then clearly he would know.

I very much like his current Linux+ book which I think is very well written. I am not being critical but am just curious about the upcoming books.

Comments

• Options
    FlemethFlemeth Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think it s on update on the current edition of Linux + . It will probably not matter that much except if he included more realistic questions(with fill the blanks etc) . I like the current Linux + by Smith to but i wish someone does a much better linux + book by adding alote of meaningful exercises where you can actually practice what you learn. This is where all LPIC/Linux + books suck hard...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm using Amazon.com: LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102) (9780071771573): Robb Tracy: Books

It's chuck full of exercises. It's where I learned that I dislike VI in Ubuntu. I say, exercises are this book's greatest strength:
    1) Videos for each exercise
    2) Hand-Holding exercises that definitely made me feel less "meh" about linux, and now I actually appriciate what this Kernel brings to the popcorn.

Chapter 2 is an intense chapter for those that haven't had much linux experience before - like myself. I've made it half way through the book, now I'm re-reading and making the labs so it doesn't tell me what to enter, instead, I need to think about it. <3 Virtual Box.

One thing I would've liked is the DVD rom to include the installation files for the software the author wants you to find and install - ya know, because sourceforge no longer carries, dev website no longer has...
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    hazizhaziz Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Flemeth wrote: »
    i think it s on update on the current edition of Linux + . It will probably not matter that much except if he included more realistic questions(with fill the blanks etc) . I like the current Linux + by Smith to but i wish someone does a much better linux + book by adding alote of meaningful exercises where you can actually practice what you learn. This is where all LPIC/Linux + books suck hard...

What surprised me was that they are releasing two books, one for Linux+ and one for LPIC1. I thought those two are essentially the same now.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have the choice to submit your test scores. You pass Linux+, you also have your LPIC-1.

Marketing Strategy?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Awesome I'm glad you pulled this up it's in my cart for after the holidays so I can use some of these amazon gift cards I expect to get!

All the linux+ books seem to have some poor reviews I was leery of purchasing any of them tbh but I gotta start somewhere
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They sure look like the same book in comparison. They use the same cover with a little different title and they have the same amount of pgs 700.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX