Priorities

unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am making this post just to remind people to really understand where their priorities should be when they jump into this non-stop world of certification fun. Like many, over the past few years I have dedicated so much time and energy into building up my certifications repertoire that I lost sight of what is truly important in life. Since June I have pored hundreds upon hundreds of hours into my CCIE prep; seven or eight hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday along with 2 - 3 hour sessions each weeknight have been the norm.

On Thanksgiving my father had a sudden heart attack and ended up succumbing Friday, November 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM. I live literally two miles from mom and dad and I would venture over to see them maybe once per month because I had to have my frigging nose in a stupid book or I just had to make sure I did an 8 hour lab because it was more important. People, please, don't let this race consume your life because not only does the certification journey never end, but you'll look up one day and wonder why it was so much more important than your family and friends.

Learn from other people's mistakes, don't repeat them. I am paying dearly for that right now...
Preparing for CCIE Written

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry for your loss but it's a great post.

I had awareness to this sort of thing early on when several of my college friends lost parents. I learned from their loss and have always made it a point to see my father and mother. He is older now 75, with his genetics and life style he will probably out live me.

Either way thanks for taking the time to post such a tragedy.

Quite a few people on this forum could remove half their certifications and would be just as qualified for they job they want.

Balance is always key and when I see people with such loft expectations I always cringe. I know they mean well, but the maturity just hasn't set in yet.

It's taken me years to finally realize certifications are nothing more than a piece of paper that can open a door. They are important in some occasions and worthless in others. Family ones are always precious and never worthless.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Condolences for your loss and prayers to your family from mine. I myself lost my dad 13 years ago to a stroke. I was away at military technical schooling and didn't have a chance to speak to him before he passed. It hurts to this day that I never had that chance. I'm sure your dad knew that you were busy with something that was going to improve your life and was proud of the fact that you were dedicated to your craft. Any father would be proud of their child being the best they can be at what they do icon_thumright.gif

At the same time I wholeheartedly agree that we IT folks need to be more conscience of striking that work/life balance because our industry constantly changes and churns, demanding more time than most other professions. I nearly lost my life three years ago because of a heart attack and dropped certs cold turkey until this year to really look at my life, my family and my career to really sort what was important. I refocused my efforts and am always conscious of this balance whenever I'm about to make a move.

Be sure to hug your family and celebrate your dad's life. Good people are surrounded by good people so take the time to enjoy everyone around you as well as the time you all had with him.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I lost my grandfather recently. Reflecting back, I'm glad I've done what I've done. I always found time every week to call my family just to say Hi. As far as women, man I tell ya - single life is better. For every male reaction, there's a female overreaction. *groans*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for your loss.

Balancing life with work & certifications can be tough sometimes.

The book and the cert might always be around, life might not be!
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So sorry to hear that. I'll be keeping you and him in my prayers.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Sorry to hear... Your post opened my eyes a bit. I've been guilty over the last 5-6 years in that I've been in IT of studying for one exam or another. I try to tell myself that I'm doing it to be a better provider for my family, but really, when I look deep down, I know it's just another "hit" as it were... another passed test to boost my ego at the expense of my family. I keep telling myself, "just one more exam and I'll be done" but then I talk myself into studying for another. Thanks for the post... and sincere condolences regarding your father.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bry

Great post

The next cert is nothing but a hit. Just like an addict hits the pipe we hit the books and eventually the testing center. Both can be extremely destructive, I have had the urge to go for several meaningless certifications lately. I love technology and what it has done for my career, but from a certification standpoint I can stop now. There is 0 return on investment at this point.