Options

They're Paying For It, Why Not!?

TE,

I have an opportunity to get additional training and certs via company dime. Additionally, our preferred vendor is New Horizons. With that in mind, any thoughts on what cert I should pursue next? I'm taking the CISM next week, and am already scheduled for CISSP exam and training in March of 2013. My aspirations are to continue down the management path, eventually pushing into the VP or executive level within 5 to 10 years. I understand it may be a bit difficult to answer this question without more background on me or my goals, so feel free to ask any questions you might need answered to provide more contextual feedback.

Thanks for the thoughts TE!

C

Comments

• Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    ITIL or PMP seem pretty popular among management types... I'd probably lean towards one of those two.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know many executives who focus on certifications. They usually focus on business strategy and deliverables.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ I second.

Most of the executives I've know go to the peons for advise as they keep up on the trends in their field. Should, atleast.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Rogue exactly

Business development, strategy, sales, and relationship management just to name a few. The executives I engage with on both sides (MSP and the customer) focus on what I stated and of course drinks and fine dining. It seems like anytime I am included in these engagements I'm eating a 65 dollar prime rib and 4-5 glasses of Johnny Black. I do that just to keep my bill somewhat respectable. Maybe next time I'll hit the 18 year.
  • Options
    CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    While I understand your notion of a senior manager following business trends rather than technical expertise, I have a foundational discomfort with any manager who leads a group of individuals without being able to have an intelligent and cogent conversation with at least a rudimentary understanding of the functional area they are managing.

With that in mind, bryguy may have hit the nail on the head here. With certs such as the PMP, there is a degree of confidence in my credentials that says I not only have technical background, but management of projects, people, and resources is in my forte as well. Some additional feedback received in a local meeting centered around certifying in governance models such as NIST or ISO/IEC 2700#.

Any feedback on that thought process?
  • Options
    If you are already a director in some IT role I see very little value in getting a PMP certification. If you are a project manager 80-90% of the time on a service, process, or infrastructure projects then I would consider it. ***If you manage software development projects I would look at SCM. I've noticed recently that almost all of our software development projects use the SCRUM methodology.

With what little information I know of you, I would say the CISSP. IMO the CISSP is a director/high level manager certification. The PMP is not. Infact I have seen some VP's list the CISSP, never the PMP. It would be like a enterprise architect listing an MCP or A+. (Kind of weird)

I do know several managers, most in non security roles who have that certification. Most know ITIL but don't waste their time certifying in it. At the end of the day as long as you understand the framework/methodology/best practices you should be good to go.

High level (Go for the CISSP) It would look great on your creds and give you a lot of great material to learn about. Which in turn would make you a better manager in theory.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you guys may be surprised that most senior managers (Directors, VPs, SVPs) do hold certifications. It's just not something that may be obvious or discussed.

It largely depends on which area of IT, you are planning to pursue. Within Infosec management, it's very common to see CISSP, CIPP, and the various ISACA certs. It's usually in software engineering where certifications are less common.

As @bryguy mentioned, ITIL is pretty common and offers good foundational knowledge.

You mentioned that you have access to New Horizon's training - I have heard that some of their non-IT courses are decent. List here - IT Training, Microsoft Training, Cisco Training, Computer Training, Certifications - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

To be honest - I'm generally resist management training because I'm stubborn but every management course that I have been "forced" to take has actually been very useful even if it's reinforcement of the obvious.