Nessus problems. So annoyed, I wanna punch a baby...

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
So having some serious Nessus problems here. For vulnerability scanning, I have traditionally used a combination of Eeye Retina and OpenVAS. But recently decide to take a swing at Nessus. Tried loading it in Backtrack 5. Install was successful. When I attempt to load the web-browser interface, it loads successfully, but there are no scroll bars on the bottom or side of the web-browser to view the whole interface...and it is very obvious that everything is not within the window I have to work with. I thought it might be the web-browser, so I switched over to Firefox...same thing. So I thought maybe the flash-plugin. Reloaded the plugin...and same thing. So then I switched from my VM to my actual laptop that has Backtrack 5 loaded on it...same thing. So then I switched to my desktop with Windows 7 on it...and same thing...with IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome. Seriously...WTH??? Does Nessus just really suck this much? I can't even start a scan because the button is outside of the available window.

NOTE** I did find several other people who have had this same problem by running a google search but couldn't find any cases in which a solution to the problem was discovered :-/

Comments

• ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Isn't it written in JavaScript? I have issues sometimes running sdm or asdm so I have XP Pro in a VM with a old version of Java.

Old Version of Java Download - OldApps.com
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This might sound stupid...
    Did you try tabbing down the interface?
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    @ Elvis...
    I think it is Java based. I'll have to give that a shot.

@Robert
    Didn't even think to try that. Actually a really good idea though. Not a fix...but it could be a doable work around. Unfortunately...I won't have access to it until I get off work.
    Another proposed solution that I saw on Tenable forums (https://discussions.nessus.org/thread/4132) is to run the service on the VM but access the service via a web-browser on the host machine (which can support a higher resolution) over a bridged network connection.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Another proposed solution that I saw on Tenable forums (https://discussions.nessus.org/thread/4132) is to run the service on the VM but access the service via a web-browser on the host machine (which can support a higher resolution) over a bridged network connection.

Thats almost as bad as a CRM package that my company uses. The maker boasts that it can work on a mac but only if you install a VM with windows and install MS office. Thats not really a solution
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I used to have this problem too, and then I stopped using Nessus icon_wink.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

qwertyiop wrote: »
    Thats almost as bad as a CRM package that my company uses. The maker boasts that it can work on a mac but only if you install a VM with windows and install MS office. Thats not really a solution

I agree. I wouldn't complain about a workaround like this if the product was open source (if it was open source, it would probably already be fixed). But Tenable made the decision to go commercial. If you cut off the source code of your product from the open community that is willing to fix the problems, then you need to figure out how to support the product yourself.
  • peterw123peterw123 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i had the same problem press F11 for full screen mode in firefox and it solved it :)
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I thought Nessus comes with BT5?
    Wow...this is kind of an odd forum to revive after six months. The workaround that I found back in the day was running the nessus service on the virtual machine guest backtrack operating system, but connecting to it will my full resolution host system. I may try the F11 thing. And no, since Nessus now requires licensing, it has been removed from the backtrack package.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fwiw - if you liked the Nessus architecture - there is a fork of the Nessus 2 engine which led to OpenVAS - OpenVAS - OpenVAS - Open Vulnerability Assessment System
    yeah, I've used openVAS too. Both are good. And both integrate nicely with Metasploit.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    hutch, I watched a few of your videos on Youtube last night...they are pretty awesome tutorials icon_thumright.gif
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea im subbed to ya ... good work really helps

but do be punching babies
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: