70-686 Tomorrow!

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Tomorrow 12/4/2012 I get to rush from work to the closet Prometric and get my 70-686 on.. doing some last day brush ups between now and then obviously. Hopefully the resources I have(Darril's 685-686 guide, portable command book, and technet articles, techexam links and CBT... talk about a lot of stuff) pay dividends. Will update the post tomorrow on results...when I pass(< using positive words!) I plan to spend the coming weeks going through the 70-640 book and labbing it up on the way down the path to MCSA:SA 2008 icon_thumright.gificon_study.gificon_rolleyes.gif

If I don't get it tomorrow.....SECOND SHOT!icon_twisted.gif

Comments

• RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck man! This test was a tough one for me because they include CASE STUDIES now (2 of them in my case) which threw me off guard
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Good Luck sir, I honestly found the 70-680 a little harder then either of the MCITP tests.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Good luck on the 70-686!

I thought the 70-680 was more difficult but then again they are different exam types...the 70-680 and the 70-681 were definitely good prep for the 70-686.

I'll be taking the 70-640 at the end of the month, have been reading a LOT for it so far.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck!

My path will be slightly different as I'll skip the 2008 server exams and instead focus on the 70-417 to upgrade my MCITP: EDA to get MCSA 2012. Studying for that begins this week as I get the MS press book for this and then lab my pants off. :)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck!

My path will be slightly different as I'll skip the 2008 server exams and instead focus on the 70-417 to upgrade my MCITP: EDA to get MCSA 2012. Studying for that begins this week as I get the MS press book for this and then lab my pants off. :)

I was not going to get MCSA 2008 at all! I was going to only upgrade my 70-417 as well! But I realized that I need even more in depth view of servers since this is my first time really getting a chance to be hands on with servers (At least on VM's <<< Server noob) and I expect a lot companies to lag behind in their transition so if I can become a SA behind some experienced people on 2008, and learn a lot that 417 becomes very good for me, especially if I decide to take it to the MCSE route and or virtualization. Whenever that is down maybe 3-4 years down the line.
  • mr_tech_ukmr_tech_uk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck Chitownjedi I got 685 booked on Thursday morning this my second shot

I passed...icon_cheers.gif barely... lol I'm not a stickler for score though 785. A pass a pass to me, and I always feel that going back and brushing up is something I enjoy, I actually like learning this stuff, and making sure it sticks around, so Ill take my lucky lumps..WOOT
    mr_tech_uk wrote: »
    Good luck Chitownjedi I got 685 booked on Thursday morning this my second shot

Hope you get it... !
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Congrats dude!
  • mr_tech_ukmr_tech_uk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats. I was hoping you would pass as well. I am thinking of taking this test sometime this month if I can get myself to study for it.
  • certs4mecerts4me Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

I'm currently studying for this one. I'm reading the MS Press book. The book seems outdated though since it still refers to older technology like IE 8 and GPO Accelerator which has been replaced with Security Compliance Manager.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! It wasn't an easy test and I felt it was tougher than the 680 in my opinion. I got a similar score to yours and was just happy with the pass. :) Whether you ace it or get 700, a pass is a pass is a pass. :)

Good luck on your future studies!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass, I unfortunetly took my exam today and failed, 507. The exam consisted of 54 questions. 4 questions on first one study case and 6 on the second one. 44 questions on Multiple choice, drag/drop, and select all that apply (I hate those). it is interesting how MS has changed their format of exam, case studies are done separately. Looking at my results, I scored about 50 to 60% on all areas, so my score is justified, I was VERY disappointed to see my score, I am not sure where I missed the questions. Of course we all select what we feel is the correct answer. I passed the 70-680/70-685 last year by way of 70-682, scored a 751, that was a difficult exam, passed on 3rd time. I am debating about taking this exam again, as I had planned to working on Server 2008 Administrator and get MCITP before July 31st. So I am looking at obtaining MCITP Server 2008 in 7 months, so I am not sure if I should take 30 days to rehash 70-686 or just focus on Server 2008 Admin. Sorry, I am just rambling, this is for another post. Congratulates again.
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing. I have my 70-685 coming up in a few weeks and I'm already revising for it like crazy. 20 questions over breakfast, a full 50 over lunch and at least another 50 over dinner. So far so good icon_cheers.gif
  • NamaSayaRubenNamaSayaRuben Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I take this next month, already passed 680 but that was last year. By the way, what are "CASE STUDIES"? What is meant by that?
    Congrats! I take this next month, already passed 680 but that was last year. By the way, what are "CASE STUDIES"? What is meant by that?

Like a scenario with detailed information about servers, locations, gpo's and or lack of them, infrastructura, software requirments, link speeds over Wan/Lan

then they ask you questions based on that information

Linkage to a Youtube video for visual detailed clarification
    Microsoft Certification: Case Study Questions - YouTube