Duckduckgo for Man pages

certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been using duckduckgo as my search engine for the last year since Google finally peed me off enough to actually leave them. Now that I am starting back into Linux+ I found a really cool feature on ddg I thought I'd share with you. You can get Man Page goodness directly. You can get a summary and a link(linuxcommand.org) with more info or you can go straight to man.cx with the full listing.

example for ifconfig:

summary and link version:
man ifconfig

direct to man.cx:
!man ifconfig

Man pages get really annoying after a while in the terminal window plus it's nice to just get a summary sometimes.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice!

What are you using for your Linux+?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    • The official objectives as a guide
    • Multiple linux titles from the Safari Books Online and Kindle Stores (got sick of paying a fortune for paper books that ended up as monitor props afterwards)
    • Man Pages plus lots of imagination (making up scenarios so I can try out as many command options as possible)
    • CentOS and Ubuntu in Virtualbox
    • Internet Forums, Duckduckgo, IRC
    Linux is a beautiful OS to use once you get your hands dirty. I've been using it on and off since the mid 90's. After Cisco exams, most other exams seem timid.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I prefer to just do man <command name>. If the terminal gets boring, I would recommend customizing it to make it look cool. Maybe give it a transparent background with a text color that you can still see over your background.
    ^ transparency with a good looking babe in the background. I Prefer Terminator instead of the included terminal.

Makes me want to keep the virtualbox open just to have the background up :D

Not to mention either BlazBlue / GuiltyGear soundtrack playing. Nothing like some instrumental rock music to get the mind in study mode!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    ^ transparency with a good looking babe in the background. I Prefer Terminator instead of the included terminal.

Makes me want to keep the virtualbox open just to have the background up :D

Not to mention either BlazBlue / GuiltyGear soundtrack playing. Nothing like some instrumental rock music to get the mind in study mode!

Terminator is the best. That's the only terminal I'll use nowadays.
    Untitled-2.jpg

Darn Tooten.