On which to start?

KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I am quite new in MCFT area, so I need some guidelines. I got cisco cert, and it looks everything simple and one way, start from CCENT and going up to the top of pyramid. What is about Microsoft? Where is beggining and something, similar to CCNA, I would call a bit advanced level, which gives you quite solid knowledges and some recognition in IT, networking market. I see my future as network technician/engineer, looking after companies networks, security, solving daily issues related with IT/PCs/Networks. So I got Cisco CCNA, now I need knowledges of Microsoft applications, servers, all stuff, which industry companies working on daily basis. What sequince of certificates would you recommend would be the best way to start and follow? Thank you.

Comments

• KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Firstly thank you for so many and quick responsesicon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Obviously it was too philosophical question.

So I decided to go for MCSA Windows Server 2012. And my first step is 70-410. Is it difficult for a person, who is not working with PCs, servers or networking to get it? And which bill of materials you used to learn easily, clearly and pass exam? May you have some advices? Would appreciate any help.
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A good place to start is to look at the exam overview, if you haven't already done so. Then you would probably be best off looking at getting some training manuals. Microsoft Press have a couple for the 70-410 exam; Training Guide: Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012 and Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012.

You'll need to set up a virtual lab in order to work through the scenarios in the manuals. It doesn't need to be a hugely powerful machine, as you'll probably only need to have two or three virtual machines running at a time. Opinions vary on which virtualisation product is best. Personally, I have used VMWare Workstation and Microsoft Hyper-V, they both have their advantages and disadvantages, but either would work for a Server 2012 lab. VirtualBox is also quite popular, though I have never seen fit to try it.

It is not absolutely essential to have worked with Windows Servers in a production environment, though realistically it'll be quite a handicap as you won't be as familiar with the technology. You may also find it difficult to understand some of the concepts when they are used out of context. For example, I have personally had a lot of difficulty getting to grips with Active Directory Federation Services, because I have never seen it used in a real environment. Don't be discouraged by this, though; it's not an insurmountable obstacle, it's just something that you have to bear in mind!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @KAzzzkas - I too don't have any production experience so I won't be tackling the MCSA Windows Server 8 or the MCSA Windows Server 2012 anytime soon. My first serious MS cert will be the 70-680 followed by the 70-685 to get the MCSA Windows 7.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hmm...good idea. I am confused now, may I am jumping too high at the moment and need to start from the beggining. I even didn't notice about these exams 70-680.
  • buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I imagine it would be hard since you say you're "a person, who is not working with PCs, servers"

The exams are designed for people who work with the technologies on a daily basis.

Having said that if you took well to the material and did a lot of labbing with the tech then it is probably passable.

Some employers may raise their eyebrows at someone applying with these certs and no industry experience, but I expect plenty would like it, an extra MCP for the Partner accreditation.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why do you need MCSA 2012? Start with 2008. Most companies will use it for a while.
    I'm still working on 2003 track because we have a lot of legacy servers.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KAzzzkas wrote: »
    hmm...good idea. I am confused now, may I am jumping too high at the moment and need to start from the beggining. I even didn't notice about these exams 70-680.

KAzzzkas - Don't get me wrong - you already have a CCNA, so you most likely will pass the MCSA Windows Server 2008 or 2012 if you put your mind to it. I am just saying that I plan to go the easier route for me - the MCSA Windows 7. I am just much more familiar with Windows 7 than with Windows Server 8.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]