Working for Red Hat?

W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm not looking for a job at the moment but working for Red Hat may become one of my long term goals if not something involving linux and security. I'm just wondering what location you would have to be in for the kind of opportunities to be available. I'm pretty sure you would need at least an RHCE if not more to get a job working for them.

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a buddy who is interviewing with Red Hat next week for a help desk position, and he has no Linux certification or experience. From what I understand he would be working in their TAC assisting customer's with Red Hat products.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I worked at a big name software company and you DO NOT need to be skilled/certified or anything in any of their products as part of employment unless your job requires it for some reason. They probably won't hire you on that fact alone obviously if they need someone to work the product for the business itself then they will have pretty qualified people to do it.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm just interested in finding out how those pretty qualified people came across those opportunities. I definitely wouldn't want to end up in some customer service based role like doing support for Dell or something but I've heard that a lot of RHCAs work for Red Hat and if that cert seems like it's worth going for at some point down the line then I may go for it but Not for a linux admin job that I could just as easily get with an RHCE or just experience alone.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    W Stewart wrote: »
    I've heard that a lot of RHCAs work for Red Hat
    I would assume this is because existing employees are getting the RHCA, not Red Hat aggressively hiring people with the RHCA. It is an expensive cert requiring multiple exams, and Red Hat surely provide employees free exam vouchers, most likely free training, and probably bonuses for obtaining certs.

Have you checked out Red Hat's job site? It has a lot of information, including locations and job listings.
    Red Hat Jobs - Home
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recently applied for a customer relationship manager role with Red Hat. No call back icon_sad.gif
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would assume this is because existing employees are getting the RHCA, not Red Hat aggressively hiring people with the RHCA. It is an expensive cert requiring multiple exams, and Red Hat surely provide employees free exam vouchers, most likely free training, and probably bonuses for obtaining certs.

Have you checked out Red Hat's job site? It has a lot of information, including locations and job listings.
    Red Hat Jobs - Home

Thanks I don't want to appear to be looking for a job while at work but I'll check it out when I get home.
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228

Red Hat Jobs - Home

RedHat running Windows servers? Isn't that a little crazy? Click the link "Job Opportunities" and you'll see .net error.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It doesn't look like RH is running that server. It is likely run by a SaaS service provider. Many companies do the same for their "jobs" site.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It doesn't look like RH is running that server. It is likely run by a SaaS service provider. Many companies do the same for their "jobs" site.
    Yep, looks like it is outsourced.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    The RHCA is a hefty cert and I think when you know a OS as well as you do once RHCA certified, RH could take it for granted you know your stuff. That said, most of the taste of training lectures I've viewed have been given by RHCAs and not RHCEs. That's just the training side though.

A side note, when I was looking for work I would google search sites like Taleo for companies to apply to. I suspected larger companies would outsource their "talent management" to places like Taleo (HRIS, I found it's called) and I was looking for a larger company to work for.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm interested in Red Hat as well, and I spoke with people there.

In almost all of their job ads, they say RHCE or able to pass the exam within 30 days.

There are different roles, and I think with your current expertise you have a decent shot in joining them. They need a lot of support start, and there are levels of support, so you can grow there and become Solutions Architect as well. Roles vary, some need specialized knowledge in certain products like JBoss, while others need a broad knowledge in many products.

Most RHCAs work for Red Hat, specially instructors because it's not very common for someone to have worked on all those Red Hat products and be expert in all. Bottom line is, you don't need RHCA to get hired.

Don't wait, apply for jobs in Red Hat, and I recommend you apply for jobs at Red Hat business partners/re-sellers as well. In fact, you might get better experience working for a re-seller than working for Red Hat. (I worked for a Sun Microsystems re-seller).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE