Passed with a 900

tudorjltudorjl Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just took my exam today and scored a 900! :D

Overall, I felt the exam was extremely easy. I used a few different sources of information to prepare for this exam. First, I read the Sybex Security+ book. Then I purchased Prep Logic's Mega Guide and Audio CDs. After that, I purchased a Security+ video from a company called VTC. Then I downloaded Tcat Houser's Inside Scoop to Security+. Finally, I used the tech notes from this site as well as the practice exams. I strongly urge everyone to use multiple sources of information when studying for any certification exam. They all have a little bit of something that another source may have left out. Also make sure that you understand the concepts very well and know how things work. After a great deal of study, you will tend to notice a lot of common themes of what is important to know for the exam.

Good luck all on this exam!

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • mboyceymboycey Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow sounds like you went all out on your studying, but shows it pays off, how long did it take you to prepare?
  • AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif

Which study material did you find to be most in line with the exam objectives?

Have there been any changes to the exam objectives?
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    Impressive! How long did you prepare?

congrats!
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Grats!
    I finished the Sybex (2nd edition) just over a week ago... Did you feel the Sybex book was a good source? What did you feel was the best source?

Thanks.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    CONGRATZ dude.......
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    Congratulations :)
    Knowledge is life
  • sartsart Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome score!

I only squeaked by when I took this exam in 2003 - I think I passed by only 5 points. The questions were so 'basic' that they were practically misleading.

Lots of table memorization in this one.

Good luck for everyone else!
    -network analyst
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    congrats.... :D
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow impressive score, do you have any real hands on experience with security? Or was most of it new to you?
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    outstanding job..........

what's next?
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    CONGRATULATIONS :D:D neat score!!!!
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • tudorjltudorjl Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats!
    I finished the Sybex (2nd edition) just over a week ago... Did you feel the Sybex book was a good source? What did you feel was the best source?

Thanks.

I believe the Sybex book was most in alignment with the actual test questions. I got about one question from all of the major objective areas. Typically, from what I have experienced with CompTIA is that two out of the four answers in the multiple choice are totally bogus. Then there are two answers that are very similar that could be the correct answer. If you know your material well, I think the "correct" answer tends to jump out at you.
    mboycey wrote:
    wow sounds like you went all out on your studying, but shows it pays off, how long did it take you to prepare?

I studied for a few hours a day for two months. I am a newbie to Security but have hands on with networks and pc repair, etc.
    xntrix18 wrote:
    outstanding job..........

what's next?

I was thinking about tackling the new Server+ 2005 exam, but after seeing that there are not a lot of study materials out there right now, I am going to jump into going for my MCP with exam 70-270 Windows XP.
  • mboyceymboycey Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did 70- 270 before i started on my security+, the MS exams are a pain in the ass though, they love to lay out these big long scenerios and frequently offer you anything up to 8 answers, sometimes requiring more than one answer, but despite all that i passed and im happy i started on that one.

I found 60% of the questions are common sense if your expereinced with XP its just finding out which sections ar your 40% and what requires further study.

I used the testout program to study up for it.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    tudorjl wrote:
    Grats!

Thanks.

I believe the Sybex book was most in alignment with the actual test questions. I got about one question from all of the major objective areas. Typically, from what I have experienced with CompTIA is that two out of the four answers in the multiple choice are totally bogus. Then there are two answers that are very similar that could be the correct answer. If you know your material well, I think the "correct" answer tends to jump out at you.

Thanks for the response :)