confused buying the right ip phone :|

sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,
Im a bit confused buying 7940 or 7960 ip phone because of the poe,poe+,inline power... (dont know what are these!)icon_rolleyes.gif
Have a WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI PoE w/EMI,which one of these ip phones work with 3550 switch? (I want to use ip phones without ac-adapter)
Thanks in advance

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Inline Power, POE or POE+ -- which do you need?

I think the 3550 has support for both specifications - Inline Power or 802.3af.

as far as troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting Power over Ethernet (PoE) - Cisco Systems
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *in for a quick moment*
    Actually, the 3550 doesn't support 802.3af. It only supports prestandard POE, so it would be no issue with 7940 or 7960 but if you got a 7970 or other phones with color screens, you will run into issues with low power mode. I just bought a 6 port midspan for $25 dollars.

*back to the shadows for a month or 2*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Then ill buy 7940 and 7960
    thank you ;)
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Skip out on the 7940's and the 60's they are far too old for current studies. Get a 41 or 61. The SIP options on the 40/60 phones are not tested in the new material.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • sattarsattar Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Skip out on the 7940's and the 60's they are far too old for current studies. Get a 41 or 61. The SIP options on the 40/60 phones are not tested in the new material.

Really?! i already bought them online! icon_sad.gif
    You mean it does not cover ccna voice topics?!
    I bought them because in CCNA Voice Lab (for the home) topic said it is enough for that exam!
    Should i cancel my order or its enough for CCNA Voice 640-461 exam????
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    I am just getting on the voice track since work has pushed me in that direction. I believe you are fine with 7940 or 7960 for CCNA voice. I am not sure if you have access to it or not but you can also use IP Communicator which is a soft-phone that works on your computer. You might be able to get it directly from Cisco. We use it all the time at work for testing.