how many exams is the MCSE + security?

skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had always thought the mcse was 7 exams, the mcsa being 5.

When I look at the requirements for the mcse+sec, it looks like 8 are required.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/security/windowsserver2003.asp

However, MCSA + sec is still only 5.

Confused yet?

In other news, glad to be posting again after a long hiatus
I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, as clearly stated on the page you linked to, you need 5 core exams+3 security specialization exams for the MCSE:Security. The regular MCSE does indeed require 7 in total. However, the regular MCSA requires 4 exams (2 core network+1 core design+1 elective), the MCSA with specialization requires 5.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Johan.

So basically you go the extra mile and do one more test for the sec specialization.

I really don't mind doing that, since it's what I eventually want to do. I'm going to take the tests in the order so that I can get the mcsa + sec first, then take the remaining 3 exams. That'll give me 3-5 months of having 2 more certs on my resume before the full MCSE comes around.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You're welcome. Yeah, that is what it comes down to. You'll be an MCSE before you become MCSE:Security.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also only have to get through 3 exams to get my MCSA, and then one more for the + sec add-on. I'll have to see how long it takes me to get through the 291 icon_eek.gif

-- James Thurber