Options

Just starting Linux+, and I have one question......

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi all,

I will be studying for the GIAC GSEC exam, which includes Linux security. I figure the best way to even begin to secure a system is to know it, even at a basic level. So I plan on also running through the Linux+ / LPIC-1 objectives.

I purchased the Robb Tracy All-In-One, and here is my question: I know the Linux+ certification is two exams; however my book does not give any indication of which chapters coincide with which exam. I am aware that I could line up the exam objectives with the chapter topics and make my own index, but I am hesitant to do so in fear of making a critical mistake.

Do we know if there are published resources that show X chapter goes with X exam?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The book does give an indication. It's hard to find and it's clearly defined as with the cisco press book but here's the layout: (from Appendix A)

Disregard Chapter 1.

101:
    2-6,8,10-14,17.

102:
    2,4-7,9-10,13-18.

101 Specific: 3,8,11,12
    102 Specific: 7,9,15,16,18

I just wrote down all the chapters that were listed atleast once.

First: Skip to Chapter 5. Install openSUSE as the main distribution.
    1. minicom (Terminal Emulator for the USB-to-Serial converter),
    2. gcc compiler (Chapter icon_cool.gif
    3. terminator (split screen terminal action w/ Transparency, See pic),
    4. "findutils-locate" (Chapter 4).

Need to download / Aquire: A lot of the software is outdated and the versions not readily available to download.
    1. gftp-common (Dependency for gftp-x-x.i586.rpm)
    2. gftp
    3. Pure-ftp

I haven't gone through all of the book yet, so I don't know what other surprises to install.

I'm at Chapter 8, but I've been stuck here because of the lack of software. Going through dependency hell to find ones that work like the author wants it to work. Makes me want punch kittens so hard... !@#$.
    Robb: "Goto SourceForge to pickup pure-ftp." Me: Sourceforge can't find pure-ftp.
    Robb: "Goto the website and pickup the gFTP... Install gftp." Me: Lul. "gftp-common = 2.0.19 is needed by gftp-2.0.19-18.1.2.i586"

Untitled-2.jpg
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Aha! I was assuming it would be in the front of the book, not at the end. Well, fail on my part. And thanks for the tip of installing first.

Thanks rogue!
  • Options
    No, I know what you mean. I was expecting the same thing. Since it's a certification book - telling us what chapters would be covered first... It just made sense to assume.

If it makes someone's life a little bit easier, sure!

By the way, After I'm done with Linux+... I'm going to bother you for your ASA.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    The exercises aren't independent of other chapters: Exercise 11.3 calls on Chapter 9's exercises for user accounts. User accounts, as per this book, isn't apart of the 102 exam!

• Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    The book does give an indication. It's hard to find and it's clearly defined as with the cisco press book but here's the layout: (from Appendix A)
    Roguetadhg wrote: »

Disregard Chapter 1.

101:
    2-6,8,10-14,17.

102:
    2,4-7,9-10,13-18.

101 Specific: 3,8,11,12
    102 Specific: 7,9,15,16,18

I just wrote down all the chapters that were listed atleast once.

First: Skip to Chapter 5. Install openSUSE as the main distribution.
    1. minicom (Terminal Emulator for the USB-to-Serial converter),
    2. gcc compiler (Chapter icon_cool.gif
    3. terminator (split screen terminal action w/ Transparency, See pic),
    4. "findutils-locate" (Chapter 4).

Need to download / Aquire: A lot of the software is outdated and the versions not readily available to download.
    1. gftp-common (Dependency for gftp-x-x.i586.rpm)
    2. gftp
    3. Pure-ftp

I haven't gone through all of the book yet, so I don't know what other surprises to install.

I'm at Chapter 8, but I've been stuck here because of the lack of software. Going through dependency hell to find ones that work like the author wants it to work. Makes me want punch kittens so hard... !@#$.
    Robb: "Goto SourceForge to pickup pure-ftp." Me: Sourceforge can't find pure-ftp.
    Robb: "Goto the website and pickup the gFTP... Install gftp." Me: Lul. "gftp-common = 2.0.19 is needed by gftp-2.0.19-18.1.2.i586"

Rogue, I just wanted to help you a bit,

Use YUM or apt-get to install your packages as they auto install necessary dependencies. If you run

yum -y install pure-ftp and it doesn't find it you can search:

apt-get.org - pure-ftp - Search Results

Once you find the actual name (in this case its pure-ftpd) you can then install :)
  • Options
    yeah, YUM is a life-saver. I was making a point about the examples aren't always the best. There's a lot of these flawed examples that lead to a lot of frustration if you're not willing to work outside of the constraints of the lab :)

• Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    in opensuse, just use:
    yast -i gftp
    instead: rpm -i gftp, for install deps. (zypper can be used too)... apt-get is specific to debian/*buntu

... and for linux security study, I would suggest Novell (CLA, CLP, CLE) or RedHat track (RHCSA, RHCE) ... my 0.02$