Info on TICSA

I am not too familiar with the TICSA...at all. I have just seen objectives lists. Is this exam a hands on cert or is it just like any other cert exam that is a computer based test with multiple choice? And also does anyone know the requirements for taking this test?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think that I'll be trying the TICSA as a prep for the SSCP. It's 70 multiple-choice questions in 90 minutes. I read several places that the format is very similar to the Security+, but the questions are more difficult. You even register to take it through Thompson's Prometric.

The requirements are that you have some security experience, such as passing other security certs, and pay $269US. There is only one study guide (which I bought as a "black mark" copy for $5), and it looks like the material is very similar to the CISSP/SSCP study material. The 14 categories of the TICSA "Essential Body of Knowledge" seem to be derived from the ten domains of the (ISC)2 CBK.

TICSA Home: https://ticsa.trusecure.com/index.shtml
    Book: https://ticsa.trusecure.com/books.shtml
    FAQ: https://ticsa.trusecure.com/faqs.shtml
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well i just looked over the TICSA homepage. Always interested in a mid grade cert before i take my cissp and thought well maybe this is it. But then i realized that its only valid for 2 years, ive not heard much about it, and every 2 years you pay a fee to retain it icon_sad.gif

It may be well respect, but i have not heard much about it. And that 2 year renewal fee turns me off.
    Well, you need to pay a yearly fee to maintain both the SSCP ($65US) and CISSP ($85US). The TICSA fee is $95US every two years, so it's a bit of a bargain. I have magazine subscriptions that each cost way more than to renew each year.

The "big boy" certs come with "big boy" maintenance costs. If you have a "real" security job then your employer should be paying your (re)certification costs for you.
  • davidugadaviduga Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the TICSA about a year ago and it was pretty tough...but it was very similar to the Security+ exam and the questions were more difficult. I read the only TICSA book available and then took the test. During a past interview, the hiring manager noted the TICSA from my resume and asked me a few questions about it since they were a (major) competitor - so I would say it is somewhat well-known. I also wanted to mention that I thought the SSCP was much more difficult than the TICSA.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Thanks for the info. Based on your comments about TICSA being harder than Sec+, but SSCP being harder than TICSA, I'd suggesting skipping the TICSA 'if' you are already have Security+ 'and' plan to go for SSCP anyway. Because if you do all three you will have a huge amount of overlap, covered in most detail and with the hardest questions in the SSCP.
    The SSCP requires one year of cumulative work experience in an InfoSec field. The TICSA requirements are similar, but looser in the experience requirements. I think that I'll still try the TICSA before the SSCP. I have no idea when I'll ever actually work in InfoSec.
    Yes, SSCP has a 1 year experience requirement, however, it is, apart from the amount of years, relatively less strict than the CISSP experience requirements. Experience that may not be valid for the CISSP can be valid for the SSCP. Many of the people who passed the Security+ exam, will already have sufficient experience for the SSCP, or just not a little more so can easily go for the associate option for the SSCP exam, so the requirements for SSCP doesn't need to be a limitation, nor reason to go for TICSA. I recall a post from /usr who had contact with ISC2 about the SSCP 1 year requirement, and his Sec+ and CEH were enough by itself. In your case in particular, I'm sure your certs (ie. cwsp) and experience are plenty to be accepted for the SSCP exam.

The main reason I wrote that in my previous post is the same thing you mentioned a long time ago in a post. A primary purpose of going for certain certs is them being a good guideline to learn something new. Hence with the huge overlap, it is from the learn-something-new-perspective not worth the investment in time and money to go for all three certs. All three would of course look great on a resume though.
    The (ISC)2 has an actual audit process for determining if a candidate has met the requirements. TICSA is more of a "we'll take you at your word that you have the experience" cert. My resume really doesn't reflect much InfoSec experience, and I would hate to have studied for and passed the SSCP exam only to be denied the cert.

Looking over the work experience requirements for the SSCP (https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1195), it looks as though getting my Masters in InfoSec would qualify me. Since that's two years away, the TICSA and CEH look like better, short-range targets for me.
    Well, as you know I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the TICSA exam, and I'd be very interested to hear more from you about it when you pursue it. But, if the experience requirements for the SSCP is a major factor in your decision, I suggest giving them a call or shooting them an email. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. You could also shoot a PM to Keatron, I'm sure he can shine a bright light on the 'actual' experience requirements.
    I'll do that, Johan. I'm much closer to being ready to take the TICSA than the SSCP, so I'll probably take it anyway.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JD. I can give you some positive news here. First of all, there are changes in the workings and CWSP is more than likely going to get you one year's experience taken off (as MCSE currently will). Also, one big consideration here is the quality of your endorser. Trust me, it holds lots of weight. For example, people often ask me why they didn't pass the audit when they used their company's accountant to endorse them. A CISSP endorsement is tons better, or at least someone knowlegeable in the Infosec field. The person who is your endorser WILL be contacted. And they WILL be asked very specific questions about what you've done, your skills etc etc etc. So you can imagine me calling a candidates endorser (who ends up being someone who has no idea what the CISSP is, no idea what information security is, or no idea even what a firewall is). My advice would be to go ahead and at least take a serious look, make a few phone calls to ICS2 and see what's what. And of course I will definantly help you as much as I can. You've been a priceless asset to me here at techexams since I've joined and I'd be honored to help you with the SSCP/CISSP journey. This week I'm in Kansas, and next week I'll be in Vienna Virginia at the ISC2 Institue, but I'm never far from Techexams. So I'll be around to help. Let's get this done man!!!!!!!!!!!

Keatron.
    keatron wrote:
    Let's get this done man!!!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!! *SNIFF!!*

Seriously, I'll look into contacting the (ISC)2 about my possible qualification for the SSCP. I do appreciate any endorsement that you could give me. The next hacking tool I write I'll name "keatron" in your honor. icon_wink.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Seriously, I'll look into contacting the (ISC)2 about my possible qualification for the SSCP. I do appreciate any endorsement that you could give me. The next hacking tool I write I'll name "keatron" in your honor. icon_wink.gif

Sniff Sniff....First of all I wanna thank my god, my mamma, my cousin Bobo, my baby's mamma Shuntaneekwa, and everyone who made this possible. icon_lol.gif

Let's continue this in PM JD, don't wanna have all of Techexams.net in tears. icon_wink.gif