how long to complete mcse

hey guys,

I am working full time 8 to 5 5 days a week, and want to complete the mcse by the end of 2006. Is this goal possible? what is a realistic amount of time to complete mcse while working full time?
1's and 0's

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think it depends on your experience level. If you are familiar with the software already, it should come easier. For a complete noob, I think a year would be a bit tight, but I tend to overstudy. The first couple exams aren't too difficult, but then there's the beast, 216, which from what I've seen, seems to be failed more often.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree with Ricka the amount of experience you have already makes a lot of difference. If you are working full time with the products, i.e. Windows Server, 6 to 12 months is realistic and you should be able to reach your goal before the end of 2006. Again, it depends a lot on your current level of experience, but also on the amount of time you put into studying each day.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I have a 7month old son and am studying for my mcse while working 50+ hrs a week... I started out doing an exam every two months, now pushed back to every 3. I prefer to get high marks rather than coast by.

Content is very mundane and not easy to cram into your brain all at once. I would shoot for 18 months unless you dont have a job. Then, you should do it well within a year.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    how much does the mcse 2003 cost? What kind of equipment do I need to really practice what I learn
    1's and 0's
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Each exam costs around $125 each, plus you need at least two boxes, more is better. This stuff is not cheap.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    One computer running VWMare or Virtual Machine is ideal also. Of course, you will need quite a bit of memory for this. 1GB of memory is still cheaper than buying a whole new machine.

Of course, you'll need the proper resources to pass the exam (ie. books and internet)

I would say with minimal windows experience, allow yourself 1-3 months of preparation for each exam. Som exams are a lot easier than others. Some are just a plan 'ol pain in the arse...LOL

Go for the MCSA first as it is a more easily obtainable title. First take the A+ and Network+ (or Security+ instead of both) exams and need only 3 MS exams to have your MCSA. After than, 3 more exams and your MCSE.

Smaller goals and steps are easier to manage and obtain and ;)
  • techboyjktechboyjk Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    plus you can take A+ and Network+ together and use them as a credit towards your mcsa...
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I am going to try to have my mcse by the end of the year. I have been at it since last may. I started my mcse just before microsoft decided to change the exam format. I held off on writing any exams when i heard that. wanted to wait for awhile just in case there were any glitchs/bugs with new format. My first exam since the new format change was at the end of last year. I would have to say 2 months between exams is good, i prefer 3 months I find is ideal, you can really hammer it home then.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What did you mean Microsoft changed the exam format? 2000 and 2003? More sims or something?
  • IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    when the simulations were added last june
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    Yes they added simulation questions but they are pretty darn simple if you know the concepts and have some practice with the interfacing ;)