Renew your A+ Certification?

gpapagpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I thought the A+ certification was for life? For life meaning that you never had to renew it.

If so, why are people in some of these threads talking about taking newer objective tests when they have already completed the older ones?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Just talk, and their choice.

A+ and the rest of CompTIA certificates at this point do not expire.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Once I did read in a thread on another tech website that CompTIA reserves the right to make any of their certifications require a renewal at any time. I hope that never happens, or that I at least have significant experience to warrent not renewing it when the time comes. I found A+ to be a boring thing to study and would rather concentrate on other exams. It would be VERY boring to have to do it all over again. icon_lol.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    I think they should have an expiration. I work with people who took the first revision of A+ years ago, and when I recently showed them the new objectives, they collectively did not know all the new technologies. I think that's the case with a lot of A+ certified people. Granted, it's simply for A+, but with constant revisions which will inevitably occur with new technologies coming out every year, some people have a cert they really don't know much about. Maybe like very 5 or 7 years to renew would be my recco.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think if people would take the exam only if that will be their field of work, you would see that their knowledge stays current or surpasses the objectives.

While I agree with you Ricka, I've seen far too many A+ people as of late who are not competent, unfortunately, it's usually people who have recently taken the exam and merely memorized a few facts and have no experience and do not know how to apply that knowledge that are far more of a proplem.

From a revenue point, I'm sure CompTIA wants everyone to take the exam. As a professional, I could stand to see people with only experience taking the exam.

I'd rather see or show proof of continuing education (IT subscriptions, electrical courses, etc.....oh wait, that's what CST does ;) ). Seriously, I'd rather see something of a continuing education credit every year or two. There isn't a need to retake an exam just because objectives change (IMNSHO).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?