Top Down or cert guide first?

zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
Hey guys, I am awaiting a job offer that is going to require me to get some design knowledge. I know I want to read both Top Down Network Design and the CCDA cert guide, but which order should I do it in? From what I have been reading it seems like Top Down is a little more higher level but not as technical so it may be a decent starting point from what I can tell. Any input?

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are talking about the taking the CCDA then i would recommend the DA/DP Arch exam guide books as these are focused upon the exam topics. I did not enjoy the CCDA book and would recommend backing it up with the ARCH guide. However, filter out those areas in the ARCH guide which are not covered in the CCDA topics.

The CCDA is a tough exam to get through due to a variety of reasons, mainly dry/poor exam guide, poorly worded exam questions, random sales pitches and so forth. However, stick with it because the CCDP Arch is a good one.

If you are just looking to get some general network design knowledge then Top Down is a great resource and a must read for any network designer. The CCDP ARCH exam book is also a good one. I would recommended the arch book over the CCDA guide.

The cisco design zone also has some great design papers for each technology:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns742/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Nel, thanks for the feedback. So are you saying to read CCDA then the CCDP book before taking the CCDA? I started on the CCDA official cert guide. It's ok so far I guess... what makes the CCDP so much better? Thanks again.
    Hi man,

No not necessarily, i mean use the CCDP arch guide for those areas which overlap between the two certs. The Arch book contains better detail in those areas imo, However, much of the arch book is overkill and out of scope for the ccda exam :). Check the difference between the blueprints and you will see. Fight through the ccda mate, the arch exam material is way more interesting!

Ok got it, thanks man. Just went over to Cisco press and the ARCH foundation guide is the e-book of the week for $9.99 so I picked it up anyways :)
    wow, a steal for that price. Have a flick through and see what you think, you will notice immediately that many topics are out of scope in relation to the DA. Its a good read, i really enjoyed it and just need to get my ar$e in gear to take the exam :)

Well I wish you the best of luck in that. I am still miles away, I didn't realize that SWITCH and ROUTE were actually prereqs for CCDP. I guess after my CCDA I will have to start on that material, but yeah, for now I am happy to score the book at that price and will definitely use it to cross reference. Thanks again.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    i wanna suggest to study CCNP exams first(route & switch especially)....
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    heard a lot of those went for CCDA (without studying CCNP) failed..................
    meaning...... CCNP level knowledge is a must for CCDA exam.......