Timing CISA Application and Test

brianmitmcpbrianmitmcp Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums and the I.T. certification world so please bear with me.

I am graduating Virginia Tech in a week with a B.S. in Business Information Technology, and I am going to start my job, as an information systems auditor, at Deloitte either at the beginning of this summer or the beginning of this fall. In between the time I graduate and start work I will have a lot of free time so I'm planning on getting my CISA during this time frame. I interned at Deloitte this past summer where I also did information systems auditing.

How long would I have to work before getting my CISA? Is it possible/allowed to pass the test now then just apply for the certification once I get the necessary work experience or is there a limit for the maximum amount of time in between passing the exam and applying for the certification?

Thanks again for your help!

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello Brian and welcome to the TE forums.

ISACA does accept and encourage individuals to take the CISA exam even if you may not have the requisite experience to earn the CISA designation.

You have 5 years after you pass the CISA exam to apply for CISA certification. But until you have been accepted by ISACA, you would not be allowed to use the CISA designation.

The CISA requires 5 years of professional information systems auditing, control or security work experience. You can find more info here:

How to Become CISA Certified

Some substitutions are accepted - for example, if you have a degree that enforces ISACA-sponsored Model Curricula. The list of universities are found here:

Programs Aligned with the Model Curriculum for IS Audit and Control

I personally would suggest that you wait at least 1-2 years after you begin your career before you attempt the exam. In the meantime, there may be other certifications which would be helpful in your understanding of information systems.
  • brianmitmcpbrianmitmcp Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for your feedback and help.

I am going to email some people in my Deloitte network to find out about other relevant certifications I can get but I think I am going to start studying for the CISA test since it seems most relevant.