Options

Will connecting a WLC at 10/00 bottle neck a 802.11n AP connected at 10/100/100?

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
Hey all!

Will connecting a WLC at 10/00 bottle neck a 802.11n AP connected at 10/100/1000?

I have a 2504 WLC and a 3602 AP. If I connect the WLC to a fast ethernet port, and the AP to a gigabit ethernet port, will the AP be bottle necked to 10/100 speeds? The 3602 is 4x4 MIMO capable of 450mbps.

Thanks for the help!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    ...for the record... I mis-typed 10/100/1000 in the title... doh
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Depends if all your LAP are running in local mode, then all traffic traverses the WLC. If your LAPs are in FlexConnect or H-REAP mode then it's all locally switched.

Also keep in mind just cause you have wireless N capable access points doesn't mean your getting 300 Mbps for each client. You'll need properly configure the Access Points/WLANs in the 5Ghz to get those kind of speeds. (Channel Bonding, WPA2, WMM, etc)

You can run iPerf from wireless clients to see your actual throughput, if you have a 2504 Access Point then why not connect to a GB port?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    I have already configured 5Ghz channels and 40Mhz channel widths. I know I achieve 300Mbps with my Mac Book Air. However, I am in local mode currently. I'll switch to Flex and see how that goes!
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Just keep in mind, you might not see much of a difference in performance unless that 10/100Mb link is currently congested.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Darn, I wish I would've seen this early.

Keep in mind the 2504 WLC has a maximum backplane speed of 300 Mbps!!!!!!