Options

I'm now unemployed.

Yep - finished my last day at my old job today. Starting a new six figure job on January 2nd. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself with all that time off in between - between work, school & studying for certs, I've had like no free time the past 2 years. But I know it's going to fly by with the holiday grind.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Congrats! How long have you been in IT to make it to 6 figures?
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude. Enjoy the holidays and clear your mind for your upcoming gig.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□

I would also like to know the same. Congratulations!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This is big time congrats... I am happy for your success mate!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Grats dude I myself start a new gig on the 7th with those same numbers =) feels good to get there !
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565

I guess it depends on what you consider "IT". I began my tech career at a computer repair shop straight out of high school at $7 an hour. Not really IT, but it paved the way for my first network/system admin job. The pay for that one sucked, but it was all about the experience. From there, I moved into a public school system, and spent 6 years there, getting as high as I could get there without a degree (mid $40k).

That was all in my hometown where cost of living is low, and mid 40s is damn good money. But, starting a family, I finally bit the bullet and decided to suck it up and deal with the hour+ drive into the DC metro area to make "real" money 2 years ago. 1 year as an admin, then moved to engineering, now here I am, moving into an even better engineering gig.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz on the new gigs gang! I landed a new one myself

Keep up the great post!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, Gentlemen.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's GREAT news!
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. It's always nice to take a small vacation before starting a new job.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new gig!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats and good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    gratz to both!
    meh
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    From there, I moved into a public school system, and spent 6 years there, getting as high as I could get there...

Reading that... if I had a drink, it would have been coming out of my nose. icon_cheers.gif

Congrats on your new gig. My move into the six-figure range was about the same deal for me... except I stayed in my hometown, I just have to drive all the way across it; it is with on of the big consulting companies that focuses on federal gov't contracts, but I don't have to work int he DC metro area. I will have to give you serious props on that commute, too; I have been travelling to DC a few times a year for the past few years... depending on where you are, driving a mile can take ten to fifteen minutes. icon_thumright.gif
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Fortunately, I'm not really that deep into the DC metro area. My previous job was in Sterling, and this new one is in Ashburn. And fortunately, both have allowed me to go up I-81 to Route 7, instead of having to go all the way in on 66. That would drive me nuts if I had to drive that every day. I would maybe go as far as Centreville, but that's probably about it. I've had recruiters hit me up about positions in Arlington, Alexendria, etc, over the years and there's just no way I'd seriously consider those places unless I could work from home the majority of the time.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congratulations on the new job and time off! It is great to buckle down, work hard, and get rewarded for it icon_cheers.gif

For giggles I checked the COL conversion...$100k to me is $154k to you icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on the gig. Sometimes too much time isn't a good thing after-all. Please enjoy it while it last.

And by the way.... You're already dead ;)
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    jlennonjlennon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    It gets even better - just got email from my new boss telling me to enjoy the time off, and giving me some info about the project I'm going to be working on when I start. Obviously, I can't got into detail here, but it's something that will be totally new and revolutionary on the IaaS / managed services scene, and I am excited to be involved with it.

I can't wait for January 2nd now.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! Good for you.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I read the title and thought "Awe hell that's not good" and then i read the post and thought "Awe hell that's GREAT!" Nevertheless Congratulations.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Patel128 wrote: »
    I read the title and thought "Awe hell that's not good" and then i read the post and thought "Awe hell that's GREAT!" Nevertheless Congratulations.

Yeah same lol
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mich12mich12 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now that's inspiration right there! Congrats.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the new gig!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This area pays a lot of money. A house here is 450k-600k for 3000 sq feet or so in an awesome area.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    6 figures... damn! congrats man
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???