MCP....

d4nd4n Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone..

I'm new here, so please, bear with me...

I'm currently working on a IT helpdesk for a medium sized IT Support company. We support many different companies IT systems. I have been working here for about 3 years, however, i now wish to push forward and get the qualification to prove i can do the work.

I will be teaching myself, using various technotes and practice exams, and i have emailed a local college about taking exams there.

Now, i need to know, i am probably going to start by doing 70 - 270 Installing and adminstrating Windows XP. Once i have taken this exam, and passed, would that then earn me a MCP?

What are the break downs for being a MCP to a MCSE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and i look forward to the replies

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    first you do not need to contact any college or whatever for the MS exams. you book them with Prometric or VUE, tell them where you want to do it, and that's that. of course go to their (prometric or vue's) website and read up on it.

then yes, any MS exam will earn you the title of MCP.

for mcse look here.
    witty comment
  • d4nd4n Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice - i was not aware that that is the best way to go about booking a exam.

Just been looking through the link for the MCSE. Once i have taken and passed 70 - 270 Installing Windows XP thats the client operating system exam out the way, so to speak?

Then its just four of the Networking system and one of the design exam.

Which can be added to my list of 'passes' in any order, then once all have been completed will earn me the MCSE?

Sorry to sound such a dunce, just trying to work it all out

Once again, thanks for the help and speedy replies! icon_cool.gif
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    d4n wrote:
    Thanks for the advice - i was not aware that that is the best way to go about booking a exam.
    it's not the best, it's the only way. :D
    Just been looking through the link for the MCSE. Once i have taken and passed 70 - 270 Installing Windows XP thats the client operating system exam out the way, so to speak?
    yes
    Then its just four of the Networking system and one of the design exam.

Which can be added to my list of 'passes' in any order, then once all have been completed will earn me the MCSE?
    no, you need 7 exams. from MS:

"Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) candidates on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 track are required to satisfy the following requirements:
    Core Exams (Six Exams Required)

* Four networking system exams
    * One client operating system exam
    * One design exam

Elective Exams (One Exam Required)

Together with the core exams, the elective exams provide a valid and reliable measure of technical proficiency and expertise in solution design and implementation. MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems."
    witty comment