Survey

auosauos Member Posts: 186
Hi,

Maybe below question is old, but I would like to do a survey

Which one you prefer when study (CCNP or CCIE) and why?
1 - Real rack
2 - GNS3

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Real Rack. I used GNS for some of CCIP Studies and ran into a few issues here and there requiring me to reboot the routers in GNS3 randomly. Plus just prefer the real equipment. Sometimes GNS3 can be a little rough to work but that was just my experience. Besides If I remember correctly you still need real equipment to lab for CCIE with GNS3 breakout switches I think they were called.

The Lab « CCIE or Null!
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Real rack.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    auos wrote: »
    Hi,

Maybe below question is old, but I would like to do a survey

Which one you prefer when study (CCNP or CCIE) and why?
    1 - Real rack
    2 - GNS3

Kind of a strange question; who wouldn't prefer a real rack over GNS3? GNS3 has its limits, real rack doesn't (I guess).
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with everyone else. If given the straight up choice the real thing is the way to go.

There are other factors, mainly money, that make people choose GNS3 though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Agree with everyone else. If given the straight up choice the real thing is the way to go.

There are other factors, mainly money, that make people choose GNS3 though.

Yeah, I do love GNS3... but a rack would be so much better. Too expensive, though.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    Real rack (Rack rentals in my case)
    I still use GNS3 all the time, but normally only to lab up a very specific config that I want to test
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I honestly have to say both a real rack and GNS3. I like the ability to have the hands on experience, but GNS3 works extremely well if you are traveling.
  • auosauos Member Posts: 186
    Eildor wrote: »
    Kind of a strange question; who wouldn't prefer a real rack over GNS3? GNS3 has its limits, real rack doesn't (I guess).

This question strange because I ask a lot of guys and they prefer GNS3 over real rack!!!!
    This question strange because I ask a lot of guys and they prefer GNS3 over real rack!!!!

Also I shock when I see new series for CBT Nuggets used GNS3 over real rack, icon_sad.gif.

If cost wasn't an issue I think the majority of people would prefer a real rack. ESPECIALLY for CCIE.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Well, I'd say for CCNP investment in real rack is not worth it, at least for the L3 stuff. For L2 you just need 2 2960s and you can lab almost anything on them. I've passed CCNA, CCNP, CCIP and some minor Juniper exams only using GNS3.
    For CCIE however, you'd need a real rack. Or at least very well designed dedicated Dynamips server with multiple NICs and 4 3560/3550s. Which is something in between a real rack and GNS3...
    Non-native English speaker
    Sett wrote: »
    Or at least very well designed dedicated Dynamips server with multiple NICs and 4 3560/3550s. Which is something in between a real rack and GNS3...

Yeah I think that's exactly what I would end up doing.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Eildor wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's exactly what I would end up doing.

That's the best option imo. Not because of the money but because is too much hustle to keep 10-15 devices powered on at home. You need a lot of space for that, it generates noise, heat, needs good amount of power... I am lucky to have nice rack located at the office which I can access remotely but noway I'd keep something like that in my flat. And really, if you have powerful enough server and setup it correctly for Dynamips, you won't lose any functionality compared to the real gear.
    Rack rentals also work, but you can't be as flexible as if you had your own infrastructure.
    Non-native English speaker
    Sett wrote: »
    That's the best option imo. Not because of the money but because is too much hustle to keep 10-15 devices powered on at home. You need a lot of space for that, it generates noise, heat, needs good amount of power... I am lucky to have nice rack located at the office which I can access remotely but noway I'd keep something like that in my flat. And really, if you have powerful enough server and setup it correctly for Dynamips, you won't lose any functionality compared to the real gear.
    Rack rentals also work, but you can't be as flexible as if you had your own infrastructure.

True xD

Anyway, I'm still in education so I'll wait until I have a few years experience before I consider anything like that. Maybe I'll get lucky like you and have an employer who will provide me access to a rack! :o)
    Actually I prefer my own real rack over GNS3.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    having had both, i do prefer real but if i need to lab i will use what ever is available
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons