Value of Security+ (Passed Net+ recently)

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
So, I recently passed Net+ and I hear Net+ is kind of minimum to have nowadays.

For Security+, do employers want this as well?

I had an impression on 'Security' that, even with the certification, they would not hire those without experience.

I am a graduate student in Networking and want to increase my chances.

Your advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your Net+ pass. Sec+ is specialized being that if you want to go into network security, you could take the Sec+ and go that route. It depends what you want to do in 'networking', ie: Network Security, Penetration Testing, Routing and Switching implementation and design - which you can go for your CCENT, CCNA,CCNP etc. I am studying for my Sec+ then want to go for my CCENT, then CCNA, eventually CCNA Security and CISSP, staying within the security realm.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I think the Security+ is a fine starting point and can be very helpful if you need to fulfill the DoD 8570.01 directive; however, I do not see a lot of job postings asking for the Security+ in my area.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Like Krones said, if you are going to do any work for the DOD, Security+ is going to be a requirement. Haven't seen it required all that much on the private side. If you are looking into that employment sector and networking you might want to start pursuing something like the CCENT or CCNA instead.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the Network+ pass.

In my experience, many employers value security knowledge in employees (and prospective employees) because employers recognize the security risks. The mindset is that knowledgeable employees are more likely to recognize the security risks too. That said, they don't necessarily require a security certification but having one might make you stand out compared with other prospective employees.

Landing any type of job without experience is a challenge.

As Krones mentioned, Security+ is a requirement for DoD IT jobs and that includes DoD contractor jobs. Aside from that, it is a good introductory security certification to provide a baseline of security knowledge. Beyond it, there are multiple security paths including some that are highly technical and others that are more geared toward management.

Good luck.