A+ certified, Now need ceu's HELP

sharrissharris Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just became certified on 12/4/2012 and did everything through comptias website but am having trouble finding out how i can find places that offer ceu's for 3 years from now without taking exams again.

Please help any help greately appreciated.

Comments

• paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    There are several ways to gain CEU's
    among them are:
    Presenting: Lecturing/Presenting, Materials Creation
    Teaching: Lecturing/Presenting, Materials Creation
    Training: Non-degree or CAQC-approved
    Event/Seminar/Conference Attended
    CompTIA Exam Development Workshop
    Publishing: Blog, Book, Article/White Paper
    External Certification (Non-CompTIA)
    Certification (CompTIA)
    College Course
    Participation on IT Related Board
    (ACE) Accredited Courses
    Work Experience

As far as places that offer it, they don't need to implicitly say you can use this towards Comptias CEU's. They don't have a choice, just get you boss to validate this info:

Submission on Employer Letterhead
    • Name
    • Job Title
    • Duration in Job
    • Brief Description of tasks
    Signature of Supervisor

PM me and I'll respond with a copy of the CEsubmittal form and you can review the requirements.
    I'd PM you but your email isnt active.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • sharrissharris Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes Paul i am a self employed computer tech and am my own boss. Also so far i can not find any online and cheap ways to get the other requirements I would greatly appreciate your help.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I think your best best bet would be to just call Comptia's customer service line. I'm sure they have encountered this problem in the past. I could only speculate.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • jallejalle Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys this whole process of Comptia CEU procedure makes
    me thinking if I am gonna take A+ exam or not.

Please tell me if eventually passing some of Microsoft exams
    count in collecting CEU points ?

thx
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @sharris. You don't have to pay to earn CEUs. Paulgswanson gives a good list of things you can do. If you're self-employed, you simply submit something you've done that meets their requirements.

@jalle. Yes. You can earn CEUs by taking other exams. This link shows all of the other certs that give you CEUs: CompTIA Continuing Education Program. Just click on one of the certs in the Renewing Through Achieving Other Industry Certifications section to see a full list of certs that give you credit.

The documentation required varies depending on what you did and many times you can provide all of the documentation yourself. Once you enroll, agree to the code of ethics policy, and pay the CE maintenance fees, you can start submitting the documentation. When you select any specific activity for the drop down box, the page shows you exactly what you need to provide as documentation. As an example, I submitted a book I wrote for CEUs and provided a three-line Word document that stated it was a book for a relevant certification exam, the title of the book, and a link to the book. If you earn a relevant certification, you simply send a copy of the transcript or documentation showing you passed.

This blog also covers more on CEUs in general: Get Certified Get Ahead | CompTIA CEUs.
  • jallejalle Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    @sharris. You don't have to pay to earn CEUs. Paulgswanson gives a good list of things you can do. If you're self-employed, you simply submit something you've done that meets their requirements.

@jalle. Yes. You can earn CEUs by taking other exams. This link shows all of the other certs that give you CEUs: CompTIA Continuing Education Program. Just click on one of the certs in the Renewing Through Achieving Other Industry Certifications section to see a full list of certs that give you credit.

The documentation required varies depending on what you did and many times you can provide all of the documentation yourself. Once you enroll, agree to the code of ethics policy, and pay the CE maintenance fees, you can start submitting the documentation. When you select any specific activity for the drop down box, the page shows you exactly what you need to provide as documentation. As an example, I submitted a book I wrote for CEUs and provided a three-line Word document that stated it was a book for a relevant certification exam, the title of the book, and a link to the book. If you earn a relevant certification, you simply send a copy of the transcript or documentation showing you passed.

This blog also covers more on CEUs in general: Get Certified Get Ahead | CompTIA CEUs.

Many thanks for in detail description, Darril

I believe I will start with A+ cert and then later on
    take one of MS exams to confirm CEU.
    It's only pittty that developer certs (MCPD ASP.NET C$) doesn't count
    toward CEU. Also I am planing to make some blog on some IT theme and get those points too.

Cheers !
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    On the DoD side of things, one of the easiest ways to get 40 CEU's (for Security+ holders) is to pass the IASO/IAF training through Ft. Gordon.

I can also confirm for A+, Net+, Security+ holders that 50 CE's for Security+ does make all certifications CE (my A+ and Network+ are now designated as CE in addition to Security+).

Audits are also random and not mandatory, so whatever documentation you put up proving your credits does go into effect immediately. However if they are not validated if an audit takes place, you will lose CE status.

One thing I would suggest is to wait until close to expiration of CE timeframe before submitting the total number needed.

Example: If I enrolled in the Security+ CE program Jan 2011, I would need 50 CE's by January 2014. As I met my 50 CE's today, my new 3 year cycle starts today, not from the end of my initial cycle. Had I waited until Jan 2014 to submit my CE's, my next 40 CE cycle would be due 2017, and not 2015.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• BeowolfjBeowolfj Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are several ways to gain CEU's
    among them are:
    Presenting: Lecturing/Presenting, Materials Creation
    Teaching: Lecturing/Presenting, Materials Creation
    Training: Non-degree or CAQC-approved
    Event/Seminar/Conference Attended
    CompTIA Exam Development Workshop
    Publishing: Blog, Book, Article/White Paper
    External Certification (Non-CompTIA)
    Certification (CompTIA)
    College Course
    Participation on IT Related Board
    (ACE) Accredited Courses
    Work Experience

As far as places that offer it, they don't need to implicitly say you can use this towards Comptias CEU's. They don't have a choice, just get you boss to validate this info:

Submission on Employer Letterhead
    • Name
    • Job Title
    • Duration in Job
    • Brief Description of tasks
    Signature of Supervisor

PM me and I'll respond with a copy of the CEsubmittal form and you can review the requirements.
    I'd PM you but your email isnt active.

so anyone on here still alive? I have until Jan 2015 to come up with 20 CEUs for A+, and no direction on where to begin. I looked on the CompTia site and I'd sware the CEU thing is nothing but a gimic. All the links go to 'pay to learn' sites, and the other options are fuzzy at best. I've been working pc repair now for the better part of 14 years off and on based on the jobs I could land.

So about this CEsubmittal form, and IT Boards, wouldn't this be considered one of them? I could create blogs and presintation materials all day, but what makes it 'certafiable'? any guidance or advice would be greatly apreciated.
  • MagicMarkMagicMark Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer Study Groups!
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CEUs for just about ALL the certs are BS personally, especially when they say they want dues on top of it. My thing, pick one or the other, NOT both.

However, I would look in the other threads, I think the CISSP has "free course" stuff listed. It is probably well above what is needed for A+ but what the heck, can't hurt. If anything, you'll learn more!