how i get into security field???

sbokade17sbokade17 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
How should I enter in this security field?? Actually i m a student of electronics and telecomm. engg but I am having a great interest in security field n i m very much interested in achieveing/ to get CEH. now I want to know that what further steps i need to take to get admited in this field??

Comments

• StephenOnTheGridStephenOnTheGrid Banned Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    forget security. go for VBA or SQL development. I see the need for more developers than security network admins. thats just my take...
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    forget security. go for VBA or SQL development. I see the need for more developers than security network admins. thats just my take...

@ Stephen- I understand if that is what you like and possibly the path you want to take; the OP was asking a question about the security field in a security sub-forum. I am not a moderator by any means but please try to answer questions constructively.

For the OP -- you can go to Security Training, CEH, Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing, Certified Ethical Hacker, Certified Hacker, Information Security Training, Computer security Training, Information Security Certification. Continue to read this subforum (C|EH) and you should get a good indication on your next move. If you do not have a good baseline of networking and overall security techniques, please study Network+, and Security+ certifications. This should give you something to build on for your desired career. Good luck and no question is a bad one here; use the search function before you post to see if there is something that has already been answered.

Welcome to the forums, both of you :)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This question comes up often. I agree with coty24: you must have a solid foundation. Someone here mentioned the other day what I always say: you can't protect what you don't understand. Make sure you understand the basics and then specialize. Thing is Infosec is a wide area. What exactly attracts you?

Also, take a look at this: Getting a Start in the Security Industry - SpiderLabs Anterior
  • sbokade17sbokade17 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank u sir...
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    What are you currently studying?
  • QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow. No offense but this guy has years of study to go. I mean, it may look glamorous and all, but it is long hard study and alot to learn. And must be highly technical to begin with. Take shortcuts, and you'll just look stupid.

Take this, for starters:
    "17 Mistakes Microsoft Made in the Xbox Security System"
    http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/591-paper_xbox.pdf
    ... and this is just on XBox.
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow. No offense but this guy has years of study to go. I mean, it may look glamorous and all, but it is long hard study and alot to learn. And must be highly technical to begin with. Take shortcuts, and you'll just look stupid.

Take this, for starters:
    "17 Mistakes Microsoft Made in the Xbox Security System"
    http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/attachments/591-paper_xbox.pdf
    ... and this is just on XBox.

I understand that :) I want to get into the field too but I'm trying to do it right, building my sys-admin time...
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To the OP:

I'm not a security guy, but I work in a very large datacentre and have 10+ years in IT in several facets. Here's my thoughts on getting into security.

First you need to realize security is a specialization in IT & to specialize in something you must first be a generalist. You should at least have a well rounded knowledge of computing with basics in desktop OS's, networking and servers. As someone said, it's hard to defend and protect what you have no understanding of.

Secondly, as you go to specialize you'll understand there is several facets of security. Will you be a "perimeter" security guy where you may be focused on CISCO or Checkpoint related stuff. Or are you going to be an "InfoSec" type of guy who secures an internal network? They are two different jobs & the complexity of both makes it nearly impossible to fully understand both.

What I might recommend is that if you consider security in an internal network, you become versed with a specific network OS like Windows Server or Red Hat Linux. Red Hat has a security certification built in it's syllabus. Unfortunately, Windows does not. As it's been mentioned, the best place to start is Security+ in understanding the basics of security.

I pay a great deal of attention to security on the internet & I suspect that this field has real growth potential. It's been ignored far too long, especially in the SMB realm. Definitely a career with a future & potential.