Guidance on CEU's?

CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all, new to this site and it looks to be full great info! Anyway, I received an email at work(military) last week stating that all DoD employees holding a CompTIA cert need to enroll in CE. I received my Security+ cert in 2010, so I'm covered for life, but DoD wants us to freshen up on it anyway. I did some research on these "CEU's" and saw nothing on the CompTIA website explained what would be counted as a CEU. No guidance at all. So do we just randomly turn stuff into them and they decide to take it or not? You'd think they would put out something saying what they will and will not accept.

So my question is, what have you done that has counted as a CEU, or what do you plan to do? I saw online "programs" that were specifically for CEU's, but they were like $1000! Ridiculous for an entry level cert. Any help or input on this is really appreciated!

Comments

• SystemBuildingJunkieSystemBuildingJunkie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are several links on this on the page that is linked below that show you what credits you can get for what activities and even has links at the bottom for certain DoD employees.

CompTIA Continuing Education Program
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I primarily write articles and books to meet my requirements. You might like to check out these links:

Blog article:
    Security Plus: Get Certified Get Ahead: CompTIA CEUs

General Info:
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program

Primary FAQ document:
    http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_faq.sflb.ashx

Info for DoD employees (this is really relvant to you if you're a DoD employee):
    http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/dod_ia_faq.sflb.ashx

Continuing Education Program Activity Chart:
    http://certification.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/ceu_activity_chart.sflb.ashx

You can access your certification records from this page:
    Manage My Certifications

Good luck.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    My advice on the DoD side of things would be to take the IASO/IAF training through Ft. Gordon online. It counts as 40 credits for Security+ holders.

1. CompTIA has reviewed the information Assurance Fundamental (IAF) Course located at https://ia.signal.army.mil and will count the course towards continuing education credits.
    2. The course counts as 40 Continuing Education Points. Each hour completed equals one continuing education point.
    3. Each individual will need to upload the IAF completion certificate in their CompTIA account under CPE credits and include any addition information required by CompTIA in order to receive credit.

https://ia.signal.army.mil/CEP.asp
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    how do you all designate on your resume it's current? put a little "ce" next to it?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    do I have this all down right?

I got A+, Network+, and Security+ in 2010. I just passed CCNA Security yesterday.

i logged into CompTIA, enrolled in the CE thing, agreed to their code of ethics, paid $49, then uploaded my transcripts from Cisco to CompTIA......

is that it? am I good to work for the DoD now?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    CCNA Security will grant full Security+ 50 CEU credit. For Good for Life holders, you have until December 31, 2012 to enroll into the CE program without needing to take the exams again. Looks like you just made the deadline. Just triple check that you are in fact enrolled :)

Since you submitted the CCNA Security, you will be given CE status for all of your CompTIA trifecta certs, effective today (it should actually show immediately if you submitted it correctly as it covers 50 CEU's, and there is no initial audit).

Your 3 year cycle would start today, needing 50 more CEU's in 3 years.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

CCNA Security will grant full Security+ 50 CEU credit. For Good for Life holders, you have until December 31, 2012 to enroll into the CE program without needing to take the exams again. Looks like you just made the deadline. Just triple check that you are in fact enrolled :)

Since you submitted the CCNA Security, you will be given CE status for all of your CompTIA trifecta certs, effective today (it should actually show immediately if you submitted it correctly as it covers 50 CEU's, and there is no initial audit).

Your 3 year cycle would start today, needing 50 more CEU's in 3 years.

Thanks!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here are some online courses that CompTia accepts as CE's. IA Education, Training and Awareness Online Training Catalog
    You can always request classes or additional certs that DOD is obligated to fund.