Connect to PSTN using FXO port

Hi guys,

Is anyone able to help me with the config to set up an FXO port to connect to the PSTN? I just want to plug my home phone line into the Cisco router to try call connect to the PSTN.

I'm ok setting up the dial peers, just want to know if there is any special config needed for the FXO port itself.

Cheers

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven’t done a POTS setup outside of the US, but here the FXO WICs are basically plug and play. You may need to set the cptone to your country under the voice interface. You’ll also want to PLAR the port (connection plar 1000) to an internal extension for incoming calls (extension 1000 in the example). Best bet it to plug in and play – just don’t go and test your 911 dial peers (or is it 111 there?) :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    pitviper wrote: »
    I haven’t done a POTS setup outside of the US, but here the FXO WICs are basically plug and play. You may need to set the cptone to your country under the voice interface. You’ll also want to PLAR the port (connection plar 1000) to an internal extension for incoming calls (extension 1000 in the example). Best bet it to plug in and play – just don’t go and test your 911 dial peers (or is it 111 there?) :)

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot over the weekend. I remember hearing something about PLAR on CBT Nuggets, will look into that a bit more.

Yes 111 over here, already got in plenty of trouble as a kid for calling this number repeatedly...don't need that again. ;)
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make a ephone-dn 1000

This config will allow calls in thru the FXO to your dn of 1000

Voice-port 0/0/0
    signal loop start
    connection plar opx 1000
    caller id enable
    cptone us "might have to change for your country"
    dial-type dtmf
    Ring number 1

This will allow calls out thru your FXO by pressing 9

dial-peer voice 91 pots
    description 10-digit dialing
    destination-pattern 9[2-9]..[2-9]......
    port 0/0/0
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Thanks for the help with this, still haven't had a chance to play with it yet, hopefully once my kids to back to school and daycare. Looks simple enough.

Once again, cheers. :)
  • thsouthernthsouthern Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dial-peer cor custom
    !
    dial-peer voice 1000 pots
    destination-pattern 8596[2-5]...
    progress_ind setup enable 3
    progress_ind alert enable 8
    direct-inward-dial
    port 1/1:15
    forward-digits 7
    !