CCNA:Voice Achieved.

All I can say about that certification is: UGH!

My least favorite topic of study so far and I only passed by one point so I don't feel incredibly secure in the material. It took me about 2 months of study to pass it with a small small margin. Since I don't like just "passing" an exam, I'm probably going to take another month to study the VoIP material while I'm studying for my CEH for school. I would really like to feel a bit more stable in it before I move onto CCNP.
BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
Blog: www.network-node.com

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice work! Congrats! One point, wow - Failing an exam when you already dislike the content would be a real downer.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations! Considering the high passing scores required for Cisco exams I wouldn't worry too much about the actually score, a pass is a pass.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Thanks! The score for this exam was actually a bit lower than normal. It was 783 for a pass so by normal Cisco scale (825), I would have probably failed. I'm certainly thankful I didn't but man... that was close!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Great job. Voice is the hardest track out of all of them. It took me 6 months to get CCNP, it took 4 years to get CCNP Voice and voice is my specialty. So a legit pass here is valued highly.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats @Iristheangel! icon_thumright.gif

How did you manage to sandwich CCNA: Voice in the middle of your MS?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    @Ivanjam - Really easily. I just didn't do any work on my MS course studies. Jking (only slightly). I've been INCREDIBLY slow on my graduate studies. I'm going to probably finish each semester with just barely meeting SAP since I have so much work on my plate and I need to study for certifications on the side. It's going to be pretty funny/sad if my MS takes longer than my BS took to complete. I do better on the courses where I'm studying for a certification and then just go in to take a test. For the ones where I have to write X-amount of reports, deal with them getting punted back to me to revise, etc, I'm procrastinating hard since it's hard to motivate myself to come home after a 10 hour work day where I spent half the day writing e-mails and SOWs and get writing on yet ANOTHER assignment.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Sick, sick, sick. You rock. I am amazed by your determination and admire how much you accomplish. Congrats, yet again. icon_cheers.gif
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You are a machine. I'm still piddling with Linux+ icon_cry.gif She'll have her CCIE digits by the time I even get my CCNA: Voice!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Don't be silly, Rogue. You finish these books a LOT faster than I do! You just need to get your butt into the exam!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done, voice is indeed very annoying
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Just curious, why did you get CCNA: Voice if it was your least favorite topic of study? Was it a work requirement?
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Congrats @ Iristheangel. I was searching for this thread because I knew you had the exam scheduled on the 29th. My CCNA exam is next week.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • kast1kast1 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You got a lot going on and yet you still manage to get the CCNA:Voice.
    Good work!
    NavyIT wrote: »
    Just curious, why did you get CCNA: Voice if it was your least favorite topic of study? Was it a work requirement?

It wasn't a work requirement. I just figured it would be nice to have a foundation in VoIP since they use it at my job and you pretty much will run into Voice wherever you go. I hated studying it but like my veggies and vitamins that I took as a kid, it's good for me
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Consider me weird: I always liked my Veggies when I was younger and naivé.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Thanks, Iris. Good analogy lol. I'll keep that in mind.
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security
  • GPITGPIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahhh my WW. Good job!
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats, looking forward to tackling this in fall... got a lot of stuff in between till then... but you rock, keep it up...! and GL on CEH, im sure your methods will make that moot, but there it is anyway ;)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass! You're building one heck of a resume!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    Well done, voice is indeed very annoying

I’m surprised at all of the negative voice posts of late – Microsoft subjects bore the ever_living_sh!t out of us pure network guys, but I don’t see any of us flaming the MS sections…
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    I think its a lot of hate for voice, because its hard to fake. Either the phones work or they don't. In networking u can open up firewall rules, make static routes, or any other sorts of bandaids. In voip its possible to have some bandaids, but more often than not you really have to know what your doing or else it doesn't' work.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    It's not the all or nothing nature of Voice that bugs me. I just find the material dry and boring. The CCNA Voice is a lot of GUI and menus with both CCP and CUCM which I find dull. Remembering a path through a GUI is harder for me to remember than going through CLI. Different strokes for different folks
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    I agree CLI is way better than the GUI menus. I've been doing a lot of my work from the CLI lately even in cucm. I've just been running commands from the CLI on SQL to find the tables I want to look at. Below is a link on where i got the idea.

Unified Communications Guerrilla: Using SQL to Verify Configurations for CCIE-V Lab
    Currently Reading

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats amiga! keep up the good work!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • dcren21dcren21 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. It's good to know with hard work and determination, goals can actually be achieved.

Question?

What study materials did you use for this? Did you have to use a voice lab for this?
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (Start Date 8/1/12) : Transferred | Required | In Progress | Completed
    AGC1 BBC1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INT1 BVC1 RIT1 INC1 CUV1 BOV1 GAC1 HHT1 DHV1 CSV1 QLT1 IWC1 IWT1 DJV1 KET1 TPV1 CVV1 CJV1 KFT1 SBT1 RGT1 CTV1 CNV1 CQV1 COV1 AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1 MGC1 BNC1
    I used the official Ciscopress book and the INE videos. As far as a lab, I used a decommissioned version of CUCM and 2811 spare I had at work in our office lab as well as administered to CUCM 9 at work
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Congrats on the pass! I think you and I are on the same boat when it comes to VoIP. I think it's a highly lucrative field but I just don't seem to get very "excited" about it. I really need to get my lab up with a few phones to truly tackle it and enjoy it as much as I'd like to. Were it not for school I'd be heads first into it. Anyway, good luck with the CEH (I'm doing that for work myself) and the CCNP!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Thinking about diving into Voice myself while I work on getting my MCSA in Server 2008
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz!
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CCNA Voice is a lot of GUI and menus with both CCP and CUCM which I find dull. Remembering a path through a GUI is harder for me to remember than going through CLI. Different strokes for different folks
    I do the GUI stuff every day, so I consider myself lucky to have memorized them on the job :)