Options

confused about subnets

saiedsaied Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
i mostly get the subnetting part. however i have some confusions when finiding out subnets.
for example this question was on one of my pre tests and although the videos tell me to use (2^n)-2, the tests indicate that they are using just 2^N. what i dont get is why?

YOu have been assigned an ip address of 135.65.0.0 and have selected 255.255.240.0 as the subnet mask. how may valid subnet addresses are available.

in here they use 2^4 which is 16. shouldnt they use (2^4)-2

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The '-2' portion only applies when calculating the number of hosts on a given subnet. The reason you subtract two at the end of host calculation is because the first IP address in a subnet range is the network number, and the last IP address is the broadcast address - Neither of those IP addresses will be assigned to hosts.
  • Options
    saiedsaied Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ah ok got it. thats what i thought too.

thanks again bro
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    Before cisco after subnetting, the first and last subnet were not take into consideration thats why they minus 2(2^n -2), some of the books which are not cisco certified use that procedure.but after cisco introduce ip subnet zero all networks take into consideration(can be used).
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840