RHCSA without using GUI at all?

Hi,

new year, new cert or at least the intention to get a new cert. I am about to embark on studying for the RHCSA. I would like to stay away from the GUI and use CLI only (anything Linux based I've done, while minimal, has been using CLI only). I do not wish to spend any time on the GUI side of things, I'd much prefer to invest that time working with the command line. I read a previous post where someone learned to do everything with both GUI and CLI.

Is this possible and / or unwise? Appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

TIA.

Comments

• BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is possible. But I dont know if it's recomended. If i remember corectly I didnt use the GUI during the exam. But I'm not sure because it has been a while. Maybe someone with a more recent exam can enlighten us.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I can learn multiple methods of achieving the same thing, I'll use it. CLI or GUI, they are both ways that can help you achieve the same end result. Whilst I can understand your reluctance to touch the GUI you will be faced with one on the exam so I'd try to learn CLI and GUI if possible. If my mind goes blank for the command on the exam, I might be able to use GUI to get me through it.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ditch the GUI. It's not required for the exam.

There are some text-based tools that are quite helpful (system-config-*) but CLI will be fine.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If possible, try to learn a little about the GUI. I grew up only ever using Unix CLI's; today, it gives me great insight to the OS. But the downside is that I am only familiar with a CLI and I know little about distro specifics. Additionally, I am probably a lot less efficient performing simple tasks on a CLI instead of a GUI which may perform multiple steps in a mouse-click.
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the replies - I'll now probably look to get more familiar with the GUI than originally intended.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    While you're studying you MUST learn to do things both ways (using GUI and using CLI), but to pass the exams; certain tasks are better done using the GUI. for example if I remember correctly, I used the GUI for LVM, and to enable disable Firewall default configuration. You just need to know the best way to complete a task DURING the exam because there is a strict time constraint.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    use both, for some people, LVM / Partitioning is very hard from the command line, so system-config-lvm can be a nice tool for that.
    but everything from CLI is much quicker, once you memorize the command - you have an advantage time-wise.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to be taken seriously by an employer in the linux world then you should learn how to do everything by CLI. Now when you take the actual exam, I'd say use whatever method is the fastest for you but knowing both methods just gives you more tools at your disposal.

You're not going to find too many jobs dealing with linux that involve using a GUI as linux is widely used as a server platform. That's not to say that those kinds of jobs aren't out there. My last job was working with linux point of sales systems so they ran GUIs and I was very familiar with the system-config tools and the xorg.conf but now I work with web servers and our customers rarely have GUIs unless we have a customer who's used to having Windows servers but they thought they'd try linux because it's free but couldn't figure out how to use it so they had us install a GUI. We tell them to use plesk since the server usually comes with it but they insist on having KDE or gnome.
    Another important issue about the exam is to make sure you know all the GUI tools packages names so you will be able to install them.
  • uberwebguruuberwebguru Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    log32 wrote: »
    Another important issue about the exam is to make sure you know all the GUI tools packages names so you will be able to install them.

How did you manage to get LPIC-3...wow that is really awesome...i mean you should have RHCE by now then..howcome you only have RHCSA?

How was the LPIC-3 exam?

One thing i hate about LPIC exams is that they make one do many exams to get one certification thereby making one pay more money and also their multiple choice exam is stupid quite frankly
  • AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lordy wrote: »
    Ditch the GUI. It's not required for the exam.

There are some text-based tools that are quite helpful (system-config-*) but CLI will be fine.

There are some tasks for which it is not practical to use CLI for configuration. Too easy to make an error, and then you need time to troubleshoot. I would suggest people use ssh connection to their environment and ncurses tools (system-config-*-tui, authconfig-tui).
    How did you manage to get LPIC-3...wow that is really awesome...i mean you should have RHCE by now then..howcome you only have RHCSA?

How was the LPIC-3 exam?

One thing i hate about LPIC exams is that they make one do many exams to get one certification thereby making one pay more money and also their multiple choice exam is stupid quite frankly

As a matter of fact my RHCE exam is on March 20th, 2 weeks from now.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck on your exam, log32. I have no doubt you will pass. I guess my turn will probably be a year from now if I finish the RHCSA by the end of the summer.
    Thanks a lot! Studying very hard for this, I feel confident at home, but the Exam puts you under pressure you don't have at home :)
    for your RHCSA / RHCE journey you can assist my blog (signature) I have included many things that will definitely help you with your preparations.
  • JaneDoeJaneDoe Member Posts: 171
    If you can use the GUI, do it. While the CLI is faster if you're right the first time, CLI also gives you many more ways to fail spectacularly and really bork the machine. If you can complete a task in the GUI do it, especially if the task, like resizing a partition, has the potential for spectacular failure. When administering Linux systems, if the system has a GUI (which my servers don't) I use that when I can because it's easier to do tasks quickly and correctly the first time. Once you're in the CLI double check everything to make sure you're doing it correctly. There are many things you can't do from the GUI in Linux, or can't do well from the GUI. Work with a VM enough to know what tasks work best from each interface.

I'm excited to hear they give you a GUI at all on the RHCSA exam. Now I know I shouldn't have trouble getting up to speed for it.