I am taking the CCNA Service Provider Certification Class: 640-878 SPNGN2

filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all!

I work for a service provider and they are bring in Global Knowledge to do a 5 day training course for the 640-878 SPNGN2 exam topics. I have not studied at all for the SPNGN1 topics and I think they are bringing in this course as it is more relevant for what we do day in and day out than SPNGN1. I am taking this on the second week of January. I will let you guys know how it goes. Anyone have experience studying for these exams? Any other service provider guys out there?

640-878 SPNGN2
Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2

[h=1]SPNGN2 - Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 2[/h]
[h=3]Learn the major concepts of a service provider network construction and the Cisco service provider IP NGN architecture.[/h]
In this course, network engineers and technicians will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to implement and support a service provider network. You will focus on using Cisco switches and Cisco routers that are connected in LANs and WANs, and are typically found in the service provider network. You will learn to configure, verify, and troubleshoot the various Cisco networking devices. Through hands-on labs, you will gain practical skills on deploying Cisco IOS/IOS XE and Cisco IOS XR features to operate and support service provider network.
[h=3]What You'll Learn[/h]
  • Operation of IP and data network
  • IPv4 and IPv6 addressing schemes
  • Configure switched network technologies
  • Routed network technologies
  • Configure IP services
  • Configure Cisco operating systems and platforms
  • Configure transport technologies
  • Configure access and edge technologies
  • Configure security in the network
  • MPLS, multicast, and high availability
  • Configure network management
  • VPN technologies
[h=3][/h][h=3]Who Needs to Attend[/h]
  • Network administrators, engineers, managers, and systems engineers working in the service provider environment
  • Network designers, project managers, and program managers
  • Individuals preparing for CCNA SP certification
[h=3]Prerequisites[/h]
  • Basic computer literacy
  • Basic Microsoft Windows navigation skills
  • Basic Internet usage skills
  • Basic knowledge of networking concepts
  • Basic knowledge of Cisco IOS/IOS XE and Cisco IOS XR software configuration
  • Skills and knowledge equivalent to Building Cisco Service Provider Next-Generation Networks, Part 1 (SPNGN1)
[h=3]Follow-On Courses[/h]There are no follow-ons for this course.
[h=3]Certification Programs and Certificate Tracks[/h]This course is part of the following programs or tracks: [h=3][/h][h=3]Course Outline[/h][h=4]1. Service Provider Network Construction[/h]
  • Service Providers
    • Interconnecting ISP Networks
    • Global IP Address Space Management
    • Global Routing
  • Cisco IP NGN Architecture
    • Components of a Cisco IP NGN Infrastructure Layer
    • Cisco IP NGN of the Future
  • Cisco Hardware Platform Placement
    • Cisco Routers, Switches, and Other Devices
    • Cisco Routers in the Core Network
    • Cisco Routers and Switches in the Edge and Aggregation Network
    • Cisco Routers in the Access Network
    • Cisco Switches in the Access Network
[h=4]2. Advanced LAN Switching[/h]
  • Implementing VLANs and Trunks
    • VLANs
    • Trunking
    • QinQ
  • Spanning Tree Protocol Enhancements
    • PVSTP
    • RSTP
    • MSTP
    • Spanning Tree Options
    • REP
  • Routing Between VLANs
    • Concept of Inter-VLAN Routing
    • Configuring a Router for Inter-VLAN Routing
    • Configuring a Layer 3 Switch for Inter-VLAN Routing
  • First Hop Redundancy Protocols
    • Gateway Redundancy Problem
    • Hot Standby Router Protocol
    • Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol
    • Gateway Load Balancing Protocol
[h=4]3. Internal Service Provider Traffic Forwarding[/h]
  • Link-State Routing Protocols
    • Service Provider IP and MPLS Core Network
    • Link-State Routing Protocol Basics
    • Link-State Database and SPF Calculations
  • Implementing OSPF
    • OSPF Basics
    • Adding Interfaces to OSPF
    • OSPF Load Balancing
    • OSPF Authentication
  • Implementing IS-IS
    • IS-IS Basics
    • Adding Interfaces to IS-IS
    • IS-IS Load Balancing
    • IS-IS Authentication
  • Implementing Route Redistribution
    • Route Redistribution Basics
    • Route Redistribution into OSPF
    • Route Redistribution into IS-IS
  • MPLS Basics
    • Label Distribution Protocol
    • MPLS Configuration
[h=4]4. External Service Provider Routing[/h]
  • BGP
    • Interdomain Routing
    • AS Types and Redundancy
    • BGP Characteristics and Limitations
    • Address Families
  • BGP Path Attributes
    • BGP Path Attributes
  • Establishing BGP Sessions
    • BGP Peering
    • External and Internal Border Gateway Protocol
    • Authentication
  • Processing BGP Routes
    • Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI)
    • Best Route Selection Criteria
    • Route Propagation
    • Advertising Networks
  • Configuring Basic BGP
    • Configuring the BGP Process
    • Configuring Routing Parameters
[h=4]5. ACLs and IP Address Translation[/h]
  • Applying Access Control Lists (ACLs)
    • Standard ACLs
    • Extended ACLs
    • IPv6 ACLs
    • Service Provider Edge Filtering
  • Transitioning to IPv6
    • Transition Issues
    • Carrier-Grade NAT
    • NAT64
    • Dual-Stack
    • IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunneling
[h=4]6. Cisco IOS XE and Cisco IOS XR Software[/h]
  • Cisco IOS XR Software Architecture and Features
    • Cisco IOS XR Software Architecture
    • Cisco IOS XR Software High-Availability Features
    • Cisco IOS XR Software Release Cycle
  • Software Maintenance Operations on Cisco IOS XR and Cisco IOS XE
    • Cisco IOS XR Software Packages
    • Cisco IOS XR Software Upgrades
    • Installing Cisco IOS XR from the Beginning
    • Cisco IOS XR Firmware Updates
    • Cisco IOS XE Software Packages
  • Configuration Management with Cisco IOS XR Software
    • Committing Configuration
    • Configuration Rollback Points
[h=3][/h][h=3]Labs[/h][h=4]Lab 1: Configure Advanced Switching.[/h][h=4]Lab 2: Configure Inter-VLAN Routing and Gateway Redundancy[/h][h=4]Lab 3: Implement IS-IS[/h][h=4]Lab 4: Configure Basic BGP[/h][h=4]Lab 5: Implement ACLs[/h]

CISSP, CCNA SP
Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller

Comments

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Do you feel 5 days will be enough?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I hope to be done with my ICND 2 by the end of December. I work with MPLS, OSPF, and BGP on the job, so I feel the 5 day course, practice labbing (Global knowledge gives lab credits for their classes that can be used up to 30 days afterwards), and reading through the whole book again that Global Knowledge provides should be enough.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Let us know how it goes! I work in the service provider arena but no real interest in starting back over from the CCNA to see what these exams are like.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    regarding that, I mean what is the best thing to do?. If im a CCNP then I have this ego issue dropping back down to ccna for an R&S type track..
    and the other thing I was thinking about is if I did drop down and do this CCNA SP then if it takes me a while to do it then I might only start CCNP SP track a year plus down the road and throughout that time my CCNP certs would be passing time giving me less time to re certify and you have to pass professional level exams to keep them active

• waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of overlap (dare i say 80 percent) with CCNP R&S topics, only extras are IOS XR and MPLS and possibly NGN.

Is it true there are no training books available as the track is too new?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's not "New." There's never been any published books about the exam objectives. CCNA is the pininicle of "What's Available". When you get out from R+S, you find that the amount of collected material you have dwindles.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    I got that impression that there would be a fair bit of overlap. Its not practical for most of us to have access to IOS XR so looks like that would have to just be a paper memorization thing.. which isnt a great thought but the MPLS and BGP stuff is probably what is the major drawcard for most.
    I've been researching study options and a few people have suggested some of the books you need. Basically just pick random books for each topic that have already been published as their arent any cisco press ones specifically for this track at the moment.

A good point about the more you get off the bread and butter R&S tracks the more limiting materials are.

There have been manuals released for CCNA voice and security.... I am hoping the CCNP level of SP books come out, it would be helpful to my day to day job to read more about these topics.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I thought you could go for these exams if you have passed ROUTE?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    According to this link: to become a CCNP SP, you must have a CCNA SP or a CCIP

CCNP Service Provider Certification Comparison Chart - CCNP Service Provider - Cisco Systems
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • 7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any idea if these SP certs provide value? I've been considering heading back for CCNA-SP after completing CCNP or perhaps studying up for CCIE:RS written. I'm wondering both if they're useful just for gaining skill and also if they are well recognized in the industry. I work for a provider, but I also have the added consideration that most of our core gear is Juniper.

Thanks!
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Go get your JNCIA. It's a relatively easy pass (give you're a CCNP). I got it and it has proven pretty valuable to me, since I too work for a SP and we run Juniper on a majority of our edge routers and all in the core. Knock it out son!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    I agree with Somnipotent. If you are looking to add a valuable SP cert grab the JNCIA to go along with your CCNP. I'm sure these SP certifications will catch on eventually but probably not very known in the industry at this point.
  • 7of97of9 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys. I'm finding working for a SP to be an entirely different world than the enterprises I'm used to. Plenty to learn, though! :)
    Working on Security+ study, then going back to re-do my Cisco Certs, in between dodging moose and riding my Harley
    Guys, I took the class from Global Knowledge, took the test, and have passed! Now onto CCNP SP 1. I have created a PDF including the table of contents of the CCNA SP 2 Global Knowledge books (2 books), and the table of contents to the Global Knowledge Lab manual (1 Book). I am hoping this could be helpful to anyone that wants to see how Global Knowledge breaks down the requirements into their book, the table of contents is quite detailed. Can someone tell me a place where I can upload this PDF so I can post a link to it on this post? It is not breaking the copyright of the book, I did not copy the book, just the table of contents of the three books (Table of contents is always free on Amazon using "Look inside").

Let me know where I can upload the PDF to share with everyone.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • thegimpthegimp Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    need help here..

I am planning to take 640-875, any recommended review materials?

thanks
    For the ccna sp you will need to know IOS XR commands. I recommend reading the IOS XR fundamentals book, even if you can only practice and memorize the commands by typing them into notepad and looking at the output in the book. There are lots of basic to advanced questions on IOS XR on both exams, particularly SP2
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • mai.ibrahim131mai.ibrahim131 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the ccna sp you will need to know IOS XR commands. I recommend reading the IOS XR fundamentals book, even if you can only practice and memorize the commands by typing them into notepad and looking at the output in the book. There are lots of basic to advanced questions on IOS XR on both exams, particularly SP2
    good luck :) . i need any material please according to CCNA SP
  • Tait08Tait08 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Filkenjitsu....first of all congratulations on passing this exam.

I am pretty much in the same boat, i have my CCNA R&S but because i work for a vendor am looking to get the CCNA SP with the ultimate goal of gaining the CCNP SP. Can you please provide me with some of the materials you used study for both spngn1 and 2 as i cant find anything in one place....would appreciate this....Thanks
    Sorry I never got the guide uploaded! Here is the guides index if you want to see what is covered in the class.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    2014-02-09%2021_48_46-20140209_213352_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_49_29-20140209_213419_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_50_11-20140209_213453_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_50_56-20140209_213516_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_51_36-20140209_213550_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    2014-02-09%2021_54_12-20140209_213633_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_54_53-20140209_213659_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_55_41-20140209_213715_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_56_06-20140209_213734_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_57_06-20140209_213758_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_57_39-20140209_213809_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    I self studied for CCNA SPNGN1:

2014-02-09%2022_00_06-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_640-875_spngn1.pdf.png

2014-02-09%2022_00_43-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_640-875_spngn1.pdf.png

2014-02-09%2022_00_57-www.cisco.com_web_learning_exams_docs_640-875_spngn1.pdf.png
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Good news guys! CBT Nuggets is working on a CCNA SP SPNGN2 video series!

http://blog.cbtnuggets.com/2014/02/course-update-ccna-spngn2/

2014-02-10%2009_05_38-Course%20Update_%20CCNA%20SPNGN2%20_%20CBT%20Nuggets.png
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2014-02-09%2021_48_46-20140209_213352_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_49_29-20140209_213419_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_50_11-20140209_213453_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_50_56-20140209_213516_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

2014-02-09%2021_51_36-20140209_213550_Huntington%20Blvd.jpg%20-%20Windows%20Photo%20Viewer.png

Where did you find that? I can't find it on Amazon.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

That book came with my 3500 dollar class through work.

It is two books plus lab guide.

I am not using it anymore, I would be cool with selling it to someone who was interested.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
  • chandima5320chandima5320 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is most use in SP core.cisco or juniper?
    From what I've seen Juniper seems to have a bigger hold on the core and Cisco has a bigger hold on the access portion.
  • SysFailure0x5aSysFailure0x5a Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That book came with my 3500 dollar class through work.

It is two books plus lab guide.

I am not using it anymore, I would be cool with selling it to someone who was interested.

Do you still have them? I would be interesting in buying them.
  • wilsonvelizwilsonveliz Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please can you share the material in digital format (pdf)