Motivation to study?

TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all.
I've been looking at some of the posts lately and I see more and more people are receiving the A+ cert.
I made a deadline for myself to take the A+ test but have fell short of my studying habits. I would like to take the test by the end of this month but I don't really have much motivation to study everyday.
I also have a couple of distractions that deter me from even attempting to study (i.e PS3,friends,women :D).
And I would like to know how some of you guys managed to block out all distractions in order to study for these exams.
"Excuses are for the weak. Overcoming is for the strong"

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remind yourself why you're studying, why you're trying to get into the IT field, and what the payoff should be, given your success. Then all it takes is to sit down and do it. The A+ wasn't the most interesting material I've studied, but I got through it in time. After that, if you're still having issues with studying, then maybe the grim reality is that IT isn't for you. There is going to be a lot of material that isn't going to be fun. Many of the books I have gone through have been extremely dry. If you don't have the motivation and the persistence, getting certifications is going to be a long and hard road.
  • TCainnnTCainnn Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    Remind yourself why you're studying, why you're trying to get into the IT field, and what the payoff should be, given your success. Then all it takes is to sit down and do it. The A+ wasn't the most interesting material I've studied, but I got through it in time. After that, if you're still having issues with studying, then maybe the grim reality is that IT isn't for you. There is going to be a lot of material that isn't going to be fun. Many of the books I have gone through have been extremely dry. If you don't have the motivation and the persistence, getting certifications is going to be a long and hard road.

Thanks for the reply.
    I know that IT is the right field for me I love learning about computers I'm just not great at studying. If I continue to remind myself why I need this certification then that alone should be the motivation for me to study. At times it does get boring, but you are right it's going to be a long hard road if I don't start to buckle down and get it over with.
  • newbnewb Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get what you mean. For me, friends, games, and work are a distraction. I just seriously started studying a couple of days and have gone through 4 or 5 chapters already. The hard part is sitting down and starting. After that, I can focus. Try to set a goal for how many chapters you want to do a day whether it be one or two and try not to fall behind.
    newb wrote: »
    I get what you mean. For me, friends, games, and work are a distraction. I just seriously started studying a couple of days and have gone through 4 or 5 chapters already. The hard part is sitting down and starting. After that, I can focus. Try to set a goal for how many chapters you want to do a day whether it be one or two and try not to fall behind.
    That sounds like a good plan. Glad I'm not the only person with this problem. I think that setting a goal to study a chapter or two a day should be reasonable enough for me to accomplish. Thanks.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Perhaps instead of trying to eliminate "distractions", try to find those incentives which would motivate you longer term. There should be no reason not to have some fun once in a while. For myself, my incentive is my family and my own personal drive for success (however you want to define it).

Also, perhaps its simply your learning style. I am a tactile learner. Most people are blended learners so simply reading a bunch of chapters may not be an effective method for you. Try mixing it up with Youtube videos on the topics you are reading, break out a VM and practice.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First thing to do - Study. I know, I know... it's difficult to start to study. It's probably a lot harder to stop doing what you're doing (Which you probably like much more) and pickup the book. If you start the day studying, you won't need to worry about trying to find the motivation to quit playing a video game, friends, videos!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

paul78 wrote: »
    Perhaps instead of trying to eliminate "distractions", try to find those incentives which would motivate you longer term. There should be no reason not to have some fun once in a while. For myself, my incentive is my family and my own personal drive for success (however you want to define it).

Also, perhaps its simply your learning style. I am a tactile learner. Most people are blended learners so simply reading a bunch of chapters may not be an effective method for you. Try mixing it up with Youtube videos on the topics you are reading, break out a VM and practice.
    I have the a similar incentive as you do. I use my family as motivation to progress and do better in life. I just dislike studying so much that it seems that I'm forcing myself to study. I'm also a tactile learner and I learn better hands on but get fairly bored when watching videos about my course of study. Mixing up the way I study should be a good way to keep me interested in studying. I notice when I try to read a couple chapters a day I tend to leave my book at home on purpose as I get bored easily with reading. If I read some chapters, then watch some videos and some hands on learning I should be able to maintain a good study habit. Thanks for the reply
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    First thing to do - Study. I know, I know... it's difficult to start to study. It's probably a lot harder to stop doing what you're doing (Which you probably like much more) and pickup the book. If you start the day studying, you won't need to worry about trying to find the motivation to quit playing a video game, friends, videos!
    Great idea! I started to wake up early than normal to try and get things done. If I wake up and start studying, it would be easier for me to continue to study throughout my day. This is something to think about thanks for the reply!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try setting aside a block of time dedicated to study. If it's in the evening, be sure you leave a few minutes after studying for something relaxing before bed.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I have the same issue as well. Some of the material is dry and I don't sleep much anyway. Put the two together and I am out like a light. If I am labbing (I know, not much to lab on the A+) then I am fine and enjoy doing it. I think I might need to take a week off of everything but work and school and really plan out my time and make sure I get my sleep schedule back in order... Once that is taken care of, I would hope to have enough free time to plan study sessions. After that, it is all about self control.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    A couple of things that I did that might work for you. Worth a try!

Study in small chunks. I found that studying in my lunch break for 30-45 minutes was fairly easy to get through. Much easier then studying at home.

I put my kindle on my coffee table and would pick it up for 5-10 minutes here and there in between TV shows etc..

I put my study notes on my bedside table and would pick it up for 10-15 minutes before going to sleep.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Excellent thread and great feedback by many people.

You mention you "love learning about computers." With that in mind, I'd suggest you change your perspective. In other words, instead of making time to study, make time to learn about computers.

I find written goals are very effective at helping me keep focused. Something as simple as stating "I will take and pass the 220-701 exam by midnight February 15th." Be specific and include a date and time.

An effective extension of this is visualization, a technique used by many athletes such as Olympian Gymnast Gabby Douglas. “Visualization” Brings Home the Gold for Olympian Gymnast Gabby Douglas.

Here's a simple way you can use this to help you pass:

1) Repeat this simple phrase to yourself "I am so happy that I have passed the 220-701 exam." Include emotion in this phrase and say it in the present tense.
    2) Close your eyes and imagine yourself smiling as you see "You passed" on the computer screen after you took the exam.

This will take less than 30 seconds. Do these two steps three times a day for a total of 1.5 minutes a day.

Then spend time learning about computers every day.

Good luck.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think these are all great suggestions: small chunks of study time, set goals, think about the changes it will bring in your career. Getting the focus is still challenging.

I'm fortunate that I don't mind the reading, and can get focused enough in a public place to make some progress. So, often I'll go to a coffee shop or even a quiet bar, and read. (Sure it looks nerdy, but what the heck!) Sometimes I just want to be out and about, so it enables me to get some of both study time and being amidst the world.

One thing that does help motivate me, is when I learn something while studying that I later use to solve an issue at work. Then it helps keep me motivated that I'm becoming a stronger IT administrator. One company I worked for years ago would give you pay increases for each certification you earned....that was a real motivator. I think I took about 12 tests in one year.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    some good suggestions in previous posts.....

Personally, I get up 1 hour early and study then (I'm a morning person rather than evening).
    I either study at work (one hour early) or lately at home for an hour before leaving for work.

Any further study later in the day, lunchtime or evenings is considered a bonus.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    NNN I agree with your strategy. I use something similiar, 1-5 hours per week no more than 10 unless it's the week before then I get into geek mode and really bury my face into the material.
  • TenorTenor Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In addition to the great advice above, my advice would be to get an average of how many pages you read per hour on average. For example, I'm doing the 801/802 exam in the next week or so and I know I average about 10 pages per hour when reading. If I read more than 10 pages per hour, then I know I'm on track (some pages contain only photos). Any less than 10 and I know I'm not concentrating enough and will stop reading for the day. I try to do a chapter per day from the Mike Meyers book. If the chapter is too long, I split it in half.

The other thing to do is to find a friend to study with if possible. You don't literally have to be next to each other to read. My friend and I each bought the book and read it. We really kept each other going until we finished the book and will both take the exam soon.

In regards to the PS3, women, friends, etc., I always ask myself when watching TV or anything else if what I am currently doing will help me earn money. That's usually enough to get me to turn it off. All you have to do is dedicate a couple of hours per day. Don't worry, you can still have the women when you are done reading :).
    Darril is right, it's really all about how you perceive what you're doing. A friend of mind confessed that she actually tricks her mind into thinking it's entertainment. I'm sure most of us would rather do something different - like playing Skyrim, or having

Think about it this way:
    What is a video game to you? Entertainment, Probably. But is it a time well spent? If you say "No", You'd be a liar. Many persons would rather play videos games.
    What is reading a study guide -- a book? Information about the game you're playing. Words, with pictures sometimes, on dead trees.
    What is reading the A+ book? Information about what you use everyday. Words, with pictures sometimes, on dead trees.

Therefore: A+ Book = Skyrim Study Guide = Entertainment.

Even these forums are just characters, words on a medium. Nothing scary about it. The words, if read a certain way, won't come out to choke you.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    just book the exam already.. youll be fine :). watch messers vids over and over and over
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
    Thanks everybody for the great feedback!!
    I want to give everybody a update on my studies since I made this thread.
    I have since left my PS3 with my brother and I finally opened my book and started reading. I have to say reading the book isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I read about 2 chapters a day and watch professor messer's vids while at my internship. I have enough money to pay for the exam but I want to be fully confident in my abilitys before I take the test so my deadline for the end of Jan might be delayed. I also started to trick my mind into thinking reading was entertainment. Thanks Roguetadhg. And thank everyone that posted in this thread! If you have any more ways to keep my on track with my studies I would LOVE to hear from you!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just remind yourself, your ps3 and women will get you nowhere in life lol
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    lol that makes perfect sense
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Messer is the answer
    danny069 wrote: »

Depends how long you can ride the woman.

• mutuslibermutusliber Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MSP-IT, could not have put it better. Remember why you are attempting to take the test in the first place, I just recently passed both 801 and 802 exams a few days ago. But I had to study and my skills were rusty. So I bought a "All-in-One" Exam guide 1150+ pages and spent a month reading through the book and took the test(Extremely nervous notheless) and passed. Besides at the cost of taking it, why wouldn't you want to be more then prepared?
  • SkydivingcowsSkydivingcows Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good advice all around. I had the same issue. I eventually set aside one day a week where I would "Review" for about 15 minutes such as recalling port numbers and terms or the previous day or two of material quickly and dedicate this day as game day. I had advised my friends I would be on the PS3 on this day each week and would simply enjoy that day with them if they login. As far as the women, give them the weekend. You end up with 3 dedicated study days each week and everyone ends up with some of your time. You can still do other things each day but blocking a few hours on these days certainly helped.
    Good advice all around. I had the same issue. I eventually set aside one day a week where I would "Review" for about 15 minutes such as recalling port numbers and terms or the previous day or two of material quickly and dedicate this day as game day. I had advised my friends I would be on the PS3 on this day each week and would simply enjoy that day with them if they login. As far as the women, give them the weekend. You end up with 3 dedicated study days each week and everyone ends up with some of your time. You can still do other things each day but blocking a few hours on these days certainly helped.
    Thanks for the reply. This is good information. I am graduating my program this Friday and I plan on taking the exam within the next 2 months. Since I haven't found a job at the moment I will dedicate more time into studying and reviewing my notes in order to be fully prepared to ace the test!
  • dmuscatodmuscato Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "When a man feels throbbing within him the power to do what he undertakes as well as it can possibly be done, this is happiness, this is success."
    dmuscato wrote: »
    "When a man feels throbbing within him the power to do what he undertakes as well as it can possibly be done, this is happiness, this is success."
    Very powerful quote! After reading this quote I wrote it down in my book of quotes. This quote speaks to me because I am in search of happiness and I'm currently on the road to success. Thank you for this. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TCainnn, when it comes to studying in my opinion studying constantly non stop just puts a mental strain on some people and then they can't retain the information they read about and can sometimes confuse themselves for no reason at all. It is ok to play video games as an outlet to distract yourself for a bit ( but not in excess like gaming marathons maybe like 1hr a day ) and let your mind relax. Just remember this, in 5 years from now, what will beating a video game do you any good for can you put that on a resume and have employers be impressed or will they be impressed at getting your A+ ? It is all about balancing priorities work and play. I know it seems obvious but sometimes we overlook the obvious :) I hope this helps.