Options

Exchange 2010 Mailbox limits query - newbie

We have recently moved from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and I'm getting used to the new features.

I have mailbox limits setup at the organizational level and users with high e-mail usage have individual limits set on their mailboxes.

Can someone please point me in the right direction regards:

1) 2003 version used to e-mail daily to all user who are over a limit, 2010 does this only once??
Any way around this to get daily email alerts.

2) In OWA (exchange 2010), users whoare over limit get a status box at the top left of the screen and when the mailbox is full get an e-mail alert.

Can similar alerts be set up in Outlook 2010??

I am worried that users will hit their limits after ignoring the single over-limit message thinking that they are within the mailbox limit.

Look forward to any advice please.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I assume you are running at least Exchange 2010 SP1. Mailboxes now have a Quota Notification flag that is checked or cleared when the Quota Notification Schedule process runs. This article explains the process more and how to change the settings:
    Users do not receive quota warning messages after you apply Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2010

Of course, if your users are constantly bumping into their quota limits, then the limits are probably wrong.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Claymoore: many thanks for the information, that's just what I need.

We are running Exchange 2010 SP1

The users who are receiving warning limits are now listed in the apps log :)
    Our "Quota Notification Schedule" process runs at 1am every day.

Please can you just confirm if the persons who are logged will get e-mailed automatically (daily) regards the warning limit, or is it only once?

The following users on database "Mailbox Database xxxxx" have exceeded the Issue Warning storage limit:
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You need to upgrade to SP2. Support for SP1 ended 1/8/2013.

Users will receive notifications according to the defined schedule as long as certain conditions are met. There was a Rollup for SP1, which is in the article Claymoore referenced that enables a registry key to revert behavior. See also: Understanding Quota Messages: Exchange 2010 Help
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Many thanks for the replies.

All seemed to be setup correctly, adding registry key did the trick, now getting daily mail notifications for user who have gone over the set warning limit :)

Issues that the update rollup resolves
    Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1 resolves the issues that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles:

(Users do not receive quota warning messages after you apply Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2010 )
    A Users do not receive quota warning messages after applying SP1 for Exchange 2010

To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    1. Install the following update rollup package:
    2608646 Description of Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1
    2. After you install the update rollup package that is described in step 1, modify the registry. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CCS\Services\MsExchangeIS\ParametersSystem
    c. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then clickDWORD Value.
    d. Type CheckWarningQuota, and then press Enter.
    e. Right-click CheckWarningQuota, and then click Modify.
    f. In the Value data box, type 1, and then clickOK.
    g. Exit Registry Editor.
    1. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.