CompTIA life time or not?!

I've read a few threads recently saying CompTIA is thinking about removing the live time part of their certifications. What does everyone think of this? I think it's ridiculous! Once I get my experience and stuff, I would not have a reason to go back and take the A+ test again. It's silly! I hope they never do this!! icon_evil.gif
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I would hope they don't do that, but it doesn't make that big a difference for many previous A+ holders. Look at it this way: A+ is intended as an entry-level cert. Once you've gotten your foot in the door and have gotten experience and/or more advanced level certifications, you'll have moved way beyond that material anyway.

I think the idea of making the cert expire is partly revenue, partly technology. CompTIA started out with some very lofty goals, and hoped to be a major player in the industry. They've achieved that, but not to the degree they'd like, and the focus of most certification efforts/resources are on more advanced certs anyway (e.g. CCNA, MCSE). Sure, there's a lot of interest in Security+, but how long will that last? Only until the market is flooded with security experts like it got flooded with MCSEs a few years back.

As far as the technology factor. . . think about this: technology changes so quickly that maybe it wouldn't hurt for the A+ to get refreshed more frequently, and to ask people who need to retain it to brush up (like Cisco does with their certs).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'd rather they make a new family of journeyman-level certs that do expire. A++, Network++, Security++, etc. Or maybe A#, Network#, Security#, etc.

Naw, I like the "++" better.
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Yeah, i agree with the idea of making different kinds of certs for that. Part of the appeal to me for doing CompTIA certs is that I know when I pass the test, i'm certified for life. There is a very nice feeling that comes with that. icon_confused.gif
    BS - Computer Science
    MS - Computer Information Systems
    I was home in Chicago last week at a conference for Security+ at CompTIA's headquarters ( in the burbs). I'd heard this rumor a few months ago and I did ask two CompTIA officials this question and their response was that this has not even been considered and there are no plans to make such a move. So I think you are all pretty safe. icon_wink.gif
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I doubt they'll change it radically anytime soon. If they did it might be OK to make them expire every 5 years or so. You can count on technology to change pretty nicely in that time.

However, I don't think a lot of people would retake their A+. Maybe Net and sec+.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    They should be more like the MCSE in that you are now an MCSE in Windows NT, 2000, 2003. These certificates don't expire but they do become 'out dated' as new technology comes along.

Maybe they should just add the year you passed to the certificate?

So someone with an A+ 2006 could be differentiated from someone that had an A+ 1971 (you know what I'm getting at!)

Like the MCSE you could do an upgrade path ....

Just using the A+ as an example, but it could be the same for any cert.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    woodworm wrote:
    They should be more like the MCSE in that you are now an MCSE in Windows NT, 2000, 2003. These certificates don't expire but they do become 'out dated' as new technology comes along.

Maybe they should just add the year you passed to the certificate?

So someone with an A+ 2006 could be differentiated from someone that had an A+ 1971 (you know what I'm getting at!)

Like the MCSE you could do an upgrade path ....

Just using the A+ as an example, but it could be the same for any cert.

CompTIA certs and wallet cards already show the certified on dates if I remember correctly. I'm not at home so I can't look at any of mine presently, but I think there are dates there.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I agree with woodworm.