does being a compusa/best buy tech make your resume better?

jacktheripper994465221jacktheripper994465221 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
although i think best buy and compusa are worthless would having that experience as a PC tech at those stores actually help you find a job in a couple years?

ok lets say i get my A+ and Net+... work at best buy 4 years while pursuing my college degree. so i end up with A+, net+, 4 years experience, and a CS degree.

would that be sufficient? i find myself nowhere near being able to get a job anywhere else.

Comments

• Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I worked in the Compusa shop for about 7 months. I must admit that it greatly beneficial. I learned alot in a short amount of time, and the payoff was rewarding. Previously I was only into the application side of Information Technology. But being in that tech shop taught me alot about the hardware side of the industry. It may not look good from a resume standpoint, but you really learn the ends and outs of computer hardware repair. The experience payed off in the long run. I loved it.....
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    If nothing else its a foot in the door.

Keep yours ears open, because you will meet others and deal with others that have info. They may just be a person dropping off a pc, but they may have a friend who knows someone who can help you out.

You never know where your break will come from, but get in the door and put out some feelers and be alert for opportunities.

Good Luck
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    As cairtaker said..
    They may just be a person dropping off a pc, but they may have a friend who knows someone who can help you out.

This is probably the biggest benefit of them all. Working in retail I had alot of people asking me questions, listening to me talk, ect, and I sure wasn't shy about telling them what I wanted to do in the future and what I was studying for.

Not to mention CompUSA for 3-4 years is alot more impressive on a resume` than a grocery store stock boy. icon_cool.gif
  • although i think best buy and compusa are worthless

hey buddy, at least they all have jobs. At least they aren't on these forums whining about how "nobody hires me but I got A+" Dude, honestly, you are really **** me off. Stop being such a baby because bestbuy and compusa don't want to hire you!! They aren't looking for people with that kind of attitude. In fact, nobody is.
    would having that experience as a PC tech at those stores actually help you find a job in a couple years?

yeah, those ARE jobs...

So yeah, I think I can stop there
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My first IT job was working with a friend, and when that eventually ended, I found myself working in a terrible situation for a year. It paid less than I had worked for in 10 years, the owner of the shop was an abusive criminal, and I was not properly equipped to do my job.

However, I learned SO much in that 1 year that I know I couldn't work my 40-50k/yr contract jobs without it.

Take the crappy job and make the best of it. If you excel, and treat the customers right, you'll soon find via attrition that you're the head cheese. A couple years and some hard work later, you'll get into a better job.

Besides, don't know the lower end jobs. Corporate environs tend to be much more restrictive, and your appearance is much more regulated. I hate wearing slacks when I know I'll be moving a bunch of dusty old equipment, and the dress shoes don't help my back any.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber