Security+ Scheduled

dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
Just scheduled my exam for 1/18 @ 9am. I'm ready to get this knocked out and move on to the C|EH.

Materials used so far:
CompTIA Security+ SY0-301 Authorized Cert Guide, Deluxe Edition (2nd Edition)
CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide
Professor Messer's Videos (Still Working Through These)
Transcender Practice Tests
CompTIA Security+ Rapid Review (Exam SY0-301) (reading over this next week)

I feel I'm prepared but I always get worried that I haven't prepared enough.

Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Setting the date and scheduling is a great way to ensure you stay focused. With all the resources you're using, I'm betting you will be ready.

At this stage, you're probably looking at practice test questions and the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide has a lot of them. Ideally, you should be able to look at any of the questions and know why the correct answers are correct and why the incorrect answers are incorrect. If you don't, check out the explanation and the relevant information in the chapter. This way no matter how CompTIA words the questions, you'll be able to answer them correctly.

We'll be looking for your post on the 18th saying you passed:).

Good luck.
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Rescheduled my exam for the 25th. Job + family (wife + infant + 2 young kids) = no time to study like I want to so I'm going to push it back a week.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dbrink,

Try not to push off an exam for the sake of pushing it back. You will find that there is NEVER a great time particularly when one has a young family. Life is busy. Take a shot. I am surprised will the study material you listed you don't list the Sybex text. I find it to be one of the most complete texts for the exam. So many other texts are merely cram books which work for some people but mostly focus on just giving definitions to things...and frankly that is something you can find with a web browser and some time. Definitions do make up a large chunk of several Comptia exams, but make sure you understand how things work rather than simply how to define it.

See if you can prioritize your day a little differently and perhaps study/review an hour before the family gets up? Changing the schedule by a week frankly is not a lot of time difference. Easier said then done, but some folks simply get nervous about a 'fail' and bounce their dates around. Pick a date and stick with it! Focus on knowing the material since it should be stuff you work with, hence the reason you seek out the certification, rather than merely pass/fail.

I will bet you are likely ready right now! Good luck, keep us posted on how you do!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    @dbrink. Life happens. Congrats on not just cancelling it and rescheduling it instead.

Plantwiz gives great advice on seeing if you can prioritize your day a little differently. It reminds me of an old Mark Twain quote, “If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.” Any worthwhile goal is worth your time. If you're finding that you're not getting the results you want, it's best to change your action plan.

Good luck.
    Thanks guys. I'm sticking with the 25th no matter what.

plantwiz, which Sybex book are you talking about? I have a Safari O'Reilly subscription and have access to these two Sybex books.

[h=1]CompTIA Security+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam SY0-301[/h][h=1]CompTIA Security+ Review Guide, Includes CD: Exam SY0-301[/h]
    but I haven't looked at either one of them yet.
    Test was scheduled for 9am today. Got there and started the test but had to quit half way through due to the community college, where the testing center is located, closing down because of sleet and ice. The lady at the center called Pearson Vue and got an incident number and I have to call Pearson to reschedule the exam. I am really ready to get this test over with so it is disappointing that I have to do this all over again but I guess it is good I got to kind of see how they ask the questions. Now it is time to call Pearson and get this thing scheduled for next week.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Wow that is unfortunate...I can't believe they didn't let people who had started their exams finish?! I guess they were pushing people out to the roads before the sleet and ice got worse?

Good luck for the next go round though!
    I love your attitude. You could look at it as a horrible misfortune and do nothing but complain about it but I see you recognizing that it gave you a free opportunity to see how they ask the questions. Good luck with the exam next week.
    Just got back from the testing center and I passed with an 829. Glad to have this over with.....
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Good job dbrink!
    Congrats on the pass dbrink. Good luck with your next adventure.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□