Where to buy cisco lab kits

chinamanchinaman Inactive Imported Users Posts: 167
Hello, anybody know where can I buy cisco lab kits ?

Comments

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hello, I am about to begin the journey to CCNA, and in regards to CCNA Certification Kits I was wondering which one of these kits will provide me with what I need with the least amount of money? I like how they sell these bundles Vs. piecing together something on Ebay myself.

Thanks in advanced.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm gonna suggest you NOT buy a pre-built kit, unless you have money to burn.

Actually, even then; just send the money I save by having you buy individual pieces off ebay to me instead :)

For CCENT/CCNA, get 1-2 (preferably 2) 2950 switches. eBay currently lists a few 'buy it nows' around $50 each. You might be able to get them a bit cheaper if you're willing to wait or do the bidding thing.

Routers for the CCNA/CCENT, get 1 2610(non XM) if you're really hurting for money, or 1-2 2610XM's if you're not. Learn to use GNS3 for any labs requiring more than 2 routers (frame relay comes to mind).

If you got 2 routers, get a pair of wic-1t cards and the DTE-DCE cable to connect them. A smattering of regular ethernet and crossover cables and you're probably sitting pretty well for $200-$300 (possibly under $200 if you get good deals or skimp a bit).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Hello, I am about to begin the journey to CCNA, and in regards to CCNA Certification Kits I was wondering which one of these kits will provide me with what I need with the least amount of money? I like how they sell these bundles Vs. piecing together something on Ebay myself.

Thanks in advanced.

I agree. I don't think you should buy a kit either; I think you get more experience from putting together your own by learning what you need and the capabilities of the different parts. You will save money even if you have some small false starts. Last, but not least its pretty fun (assuming you are not in a big hurry) to watch eBay and CraigsList to see what you can find.

Also as a point of PURE opinion, most of the kits include 2500 series routers, most of the guys here have and will use them, but personally I think their days have past and its time to make the 2600 series the new baseline.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    I agree. I don't think you should buy a kit either; I think you get more experience from putting together your own by learning what you need and the capabilities of the different parts. You will save money even if you have some small false starts. Last, but not least its pretty fun (assuming you are not in a big hurry) to watch eBay and CraigsList to see what you can find.

Also as a point of PURE opinion, most of the kits include 2500 series routers, most of the guys here have and will use them, but personally I think their days have past and its time to make the 2600 series the new baseline.

X2 on that. I've gained a ton of knowledge just by spending time trying to build a decent lab for as little cash as possible. Even if you have the money I think it's a bad idea.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Othet than being modular, how are the 2600's any better and/or more desirable than the 2500's?
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Othet than being modular, how are the 2600's any better and/or more desirable than the 2500's?

Newer OS and no Transceiver. But like I said Opinion and you know what they say about those!
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    use GNS3 and save you the money, i spent about 400 dlls before i knew about gns3 after thans sold my lab for 200 and never looked back
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    use GNS3 and save you the money, i spent about 400 dlls before i knew about gns3 after thans sold my lab for 200 and never looked back
    Switch support in Dynamips which GNS3 uses is poor. You can't use Dynamips for everything.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Newer OS and no Transceiver. But like I said Opinion and you know what they say about those!

The 2500's and 2600's both run 12.3. And I'd rather buy one transceiver than 2 WIC's. Especially when I'm not using Ethernet on every router. icon_cool.gif

Now if we're talking 2600XM's.....
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The 2500's and 2600's both run 12.3. And I'd rather buy one transceiver than 2 WIC's. Especially when I'm not using Ethernet on every router. icon_cool.gif

Now if we're talking 2600XM's.....

Well I do believe that the XM's are much better, but they price out at about 4x the amount that a non-XM does.

2500's can be had for about 10 to 15$, but for very little more you could get 2610's, but I will have to agree with you about the Modules, Transceivers are cheaper, even if they are totally ugly crap! icon_profileleft.gif

But now that we know that you can use the WIC-T1 cards (which are super cheap) as your interconnects, I cant see the point of the 2501 anymore, when for 10 to 15 (maybe $20) more you can have 2610 w/ WIC-1Ts.

Me personally all my routers are XM's, but I had to spend a good bit more to do that, but I built my rack with an eye towards going beyond CCNA.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since this thread was linked to the "CCNA FAQ", and there was a post that was really helpful for me... I'll fire off a bit of trolling information i've found:

Ebay and Craigslist, and even Goodwill I have seen mentioned as places forum members went to get their equipment.

To me they seem hit and miss. Myself, I can't go to Ebay and Craigslist thanks in due part to Barracuda. There's one tid bit of information I have picked up for ebay buying -- ask questions about the firmware included (which can acquired if you have a maintence contract for the hardware and software) as well as the memory.

Cisco Kits

1) Refurbished Electronics: LCD TV, Digital Cameras, Laptops and more at TechForLess - Satisfaction Guaranteed

2) CablesAndKits.com

3) Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers.

4) RoutersWholesale.com, Your first choice for Cisco accessories

5) Buy New Juniper Hardware - Cisco Routers - Cisco Switches - Vology Shop

6) Refurbished Electronics: LCD TV, Digital Cameras, Laptops and more at TechForLess - Satisfaction Guaranteed

7) Network Communication Solutions

Racks: (To keep everything neat)

1) Amazon.com: OnStage RS7030 Rack Stand: Musical Instruments ~$27

Thanks to Ltat42a for providing me with most of the URLs!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    1721/1751. can be brought for the same prices as 2500/2600.

I've picked up a few from $0.99 to $20 with and without wics.

When buying hardware NEVER EVER BUY PRE-MADE LAB KITS
    unless you want to be ripped off!

When buying on eBay take your time, always make sure to get the output of the show version command.
    Be patient and avoid getting into bidding wars

Avoid the 2500 and 2600 unless your budget is very tight and the price is under $10.
    ( that's not including the access server models in that)

1721/1751/1760 and 2600xm. Or better is what you need and want as they can run ios 12.4t

Absolute minimum of 64MB ram and 16 flash- note you can't upgrade the flash on the 1721/1751 so look for 32MB flash models.
    Can pick up 64&128MB ram modules for $10 to $20.

1721/1751 max out at 96MB
    1760 at 144 or 192 depending on model( soldered in ram)
    2600xm depends on boot rom, older ones 128MB, updated 256MB
    ram for 1700 and 2600xm is the same.

Just before Christmas I managed to pick up a 3745 for $41 with p&h and a
    few 2950's for $10 ea(local pickup).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a buddy offering to let me use a 2611 router. I'm still in the process of researching, but how does that compare to the 1721/1751/1760/2600xm routers?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    haha, sorry. Found this too funny.

Seriously though, start with Packet tracer and then build your alb off ebay. I don't recommend GNS3 until after your CCNA. There is too much to learn from layer1 "hands on" with the equipment that GNS3 abstracts.

3 2600 series routers, 3 2950 switches, couple hubs, and a couple Windows XP computers with serial ports and you're set.
    -Daniel
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From this link I gather that the differences between the XM and the Non-XM models is that the XM models have Fast Ethernet 10/100 interfaces?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good point on the 100meg link. Yuo will need at least one router with a 100 meg link for router on a stick labs.

2651 or higher for non XM versions. Or an XM version will do then.
    -Daniel
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very good info. Lots to look over later.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I agree with the piecing it together off of ebay. Who knows you may get lucky like i did and get a 3560 48 port PoE switch for $60. Generally buying a kit has a lot more markup because they are going to sell fewer. Piecing it together off of ebay is either some one else is done studying and selling the extra gear or the seller is trying to push more volume then individual sales profit. Also by doing the work to figure out what you need for a lab it helps you get familiar with the Cisco product lines. The day after I got my CCNA a salesmen at my called me asking about which model Cisco switch he should sell to a customer. So by figuring out how the Cisco product lines are designed and what to look for on the old hardware made searching for new hardware easier.

I recommend buy Cisco routers with 2 Ethernet ports on them because it will give you more options for labs or its the easiest way to put a Cisco router into your own home network.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    From this link I gather that the differences between the XM and the Non-XM models is that the XM models have Fast Ethernet 10/100 interfaces?

Incorrect, some non XM models are also 10/100 - Cisco 2600 Series Routers Hardware Installation Guide - Overview of Cisco 2600 Series Routers  [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

You don't HAVE to have XM's for the lab, regular 26xx series work just fine too :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.