Look at this job!

cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
Talk about a not so good job??? Look at this job
http://jobsearch.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=40796646&WT.mc_n=MKT000125
To protect and to serve(r)...

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You have to consider a few things. First of all that area is not exactly a sprawling up and coming location (bloomington is in the middle of no where). Secondly, there are bad jobs in IT just like in any career area. Not trying to be a party pooper, just didn't want a newcomer to IT to read this and head for the hills. icon_wink.gif Some of the jobs on monster are funny though.
  • mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually that job isn’t that bad for a newbie tech who wants in the field.

It’s required only for a year or less of experience. And you’re following written instructions how hard is that? For those who love to travel its awesome and they pay for your travel expense, great for single people.

For a starter IT job such at this, its not so bad. I started off at Dell in Tech Support being paid 12 an hr. I admit it was just phone support no travel but after doing that for a year I would loved to travel and get the hell off those phones.

This job will also get a newbie’s hand dirty in lots of cool stuff such as handling data migrations and computer configurations. AWESOME! I would love this starting off.

So look on the positive side of things. This may not be for you. But I bet for a motivated and ambitious person this is a great opportunity.

Just my two cents!
    Marcus Williamson
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    The part that turned me off was the amount per diem...
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first 'real' job started out at about $9/hour, and then after I got my MCSE went to $12/hour. I didn't have to travel as far, but my expenses were covered, so I didn't get a per diem. Sure there was the possiblility of a bonus, but business was slow, so I think I was there over a year before I got one.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    cairtaker wrote:
    The part that turned me off was the amount per diem...

Yeah, $25 is real low. The company I work for now pays anywhere from $39 to $64 depending where in Il or Wi you are traveling. Actually $39 is the lowest for anywhere in the country for us.
  • drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's funny. I used to work for them before they became a national company. I would agree that it is an excellent job for someone starting out. Every branch office is going to be slightly different, but the company wants to to improve your skills, and specifically push you to get certifications so they can bill you out at a higher rate. You typically change projects every few months so you get a wide variety of experience, some good, some lame. You also get to travel a lot which can be exciting if you don't have a whole lot of strings.

On the bad side, the per diem and pay haven't changed one bit since I worked there eight years ago. Also the unwritten philosophy is that the company looks out for the company, you need to look out for yourself.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "verifying serial numbers on computers" - Thank god all that studying will pay off!

Seriously, who the hell can't read a serial number. I know it happens because I have come across idiots before but come on, sending out a tech?
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    One day I read one of the forums how a tech ran across someone that said their pc would not 'turn on' and all he did was turn on the monitor. I thought theres something you won't see again. To my surprise in the last 3 or 4 years I have run into that about 5 or 6 times. icon_idea.gif
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    cairtaker wrote:
    all he did was turn on the monitor. I thought theres something you won't see again. To my surprise in the last 3 or 4 years I have run into that about 5 or 6 times. icon_idea.gif

I get this a few times and unplugged network cables.

Shame you cant stamp 'moron' on the users head to alert people in future :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow sign me up !!!

for $25 a day where can you stay ?

at a crack house ? roach motel ?
    rm -rf /
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Sie wrote:
    cairtaker wrote:
    all he did was turn on the monitor. I thought theres something you won't see again. To my surprise in the last 3 or 4 years I have run into that about 5 or 6 times. icon_idea.gif

I get this a few times and unplugged network cables.

Shame you cant stamp 'moron' on the users head to alert people in future :D

Yup, or someone can't print becasue their USB printer is unplugged. Seen people having boot errors b/c they forgot to remove their floppy disk. Wireless mouse doesn't work b/c batteries died. Optical mouse is dead b/c they can't use it on glass....The list goes on
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its not bad for a beginning tech my first IT gig was paying 8.50 hr unboxing computers and setting them up

the per diem is low (closer to 35 would be better they figure that they're only paying for 2 meals) and long as the mileage is standard ( last i heard was 43.5 cents a mile after 50 miles) its not too bad.. like i said for someone that wants to get in

i would say negotiate for better per diem and get the mileage right ...then it wouldn't be a bad gig for a noobie
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I once got an absoloute earful from a guy who's keyboard stopped working. He said - I was only gone a few minutes and my keyboard doesn't work. He didn't even give me a chance to answer him and demanded I explain to him why this had happened. I just didn't have any answers because he wouldn't go through any troubleshooting steps.

After 10 minutes he says - oh hang on I think someone's played a joke on me - its unplugged. He then hung up, no apology nothing.

He checked this out on his own accord before I could even ask him too - so it leads me to this question, Why in the hell do people call for help before trying what they can first? I don't know how many calls I recieved that got stopped short because the user had said "Oh, I just figured out what I did".