Patching vcenter to 5.0 update 2

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

i was trying to patch 5.0 to update 2. But I get a data base issue and the install fails. Also the hard disk ( virtual disk) is almost out of space. It's a windows box and rather than thinking of ironing out all the issues I was thinking. Rebuild as the virtual application.

Can I just create a new vcenter and simple remove the hosts from old and move to new. It's only 6 hosts and no virtual switches or other cleaver stuff.

Apart from logs and events what might get lost from whipping the old vcenter and starting fresh?

cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Havent done something like this myself, but I think Roles and Permissions is another thing you'd need to recreate. I have the following link saved > VMware KB: Migrating vCenter Server to a different host machine

Shouldnt be too difficult by the looks of it since it's a smallish environment.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yes there's no issues in doing that if its a straight vcenter install on using standard vswitches and no plugins , local sql express db etc then go right ahead.

Just make sure you setup ha and any backup software that is vcenter aware plus update manager and give it plenty of disk space this time icon_smile.gif
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cheeers guys.

One last thing how do you go about setting up the authentication in VCenter?

I have windows bases Vcenter, but how do you set up and control the AD intergration? What am i missing I can get roles and sessions. But how do I set up what AD users and groups have what roles in Vsphere?

Cheers
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    You'll need to go to Roles and set up a role (say Global Administrators) that'll let the group do what you specify here. Then you create a group in AD, say ESXi Admins. Then you go whatever hierarchical level in vCenter, say at the cluster level and click on Permissions. Click Add to add in the ESXi Admins group and assign the role of Global Administrators you created before.

Here's a link: Configuring Active Directory Authentication for the vCenter Server Appliance
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ah perfect..

i see whats been going on, some one set it up to use the local computer group "Administrators" to be the Administrators for Vspheres.

they then placed a AD group with in the Administrator group on the server.

So its not really using AD intergration directly only via the local group on the server!

now it all becomes clear thanks :)
    Yeah, that can be confusing! Glad to help.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..