SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert course launched

InfosecDudeInfosecDude Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just saw this on Twitter minutes back -

SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert « SecurityTube Trainings

The SecurityTube Linux Assembly Expert (SLAE) is an online course and certification which focuses on teaching the basics of 32-bit assembly language for the Intel Architecture (IA-32) family of processors on the Linux platform and applying it to Infosec. Once we are through with the basics, we will look at writing shellcode, encoders, decoders, crypters and other advanced low level applications.
Why learn Assembly Language?
Assembly Language is the gateway to understanding exploitation techniques, reverse engineering, shellcoding and other low level fields in information security. Without a good grasp and knowledge of assembly language it will not be possible to master these fields effectively.
This covers starts from the very basics of programming in Assembly Language and does not expect students to have prior programming experience.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Now that's something I find interesting!
  • InfosecDudeInfosecDude Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Price cannot be better :) I just registered. Vivek will also be launching the 64-bit version as soon as the 32-bit one is online. I am happy he is doing separate ones for 32/64 as I was really wanting something which would go through the details real slow. Being a student of SPSE as well, I think this one will be awesome. Hopefully, ASM will demystify itself to be finally :)
  • blaker00blaker00 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I already signed up for spse, now onto lase. Vivek is the only one producing decent quality security programs on the cheap. A real gift to the security community.

Blake
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Would love to see a Windows one!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • agcls2309agcls2309 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice!!! I will definitely look into this:)
    Will definitely take this once I finish SPSE!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would like this one also. Right now I am currently confused as to my next jump.

+ 1 for crypters and shell code

The Grinch http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=6 There is a free windows assembly mega primer. We are supposed to watch the linux on first.
    Jinverar, TSS
    Something in the back of my mind is twitching and saying that It would be better to do this linux assembly course prior to the python scripting expert........any advice?

Comming from the metasploit course everything is saying stick with ruby....There are so many options. one wrong move and it's sooo much extra work.
    Jinverar, TSS
    I'm not 100% sure, but I've seen a few videos where professional exploiters will write an exploit in Python first (due to the ease of use and quickness) as a proof of concept. Then they code it in ruby for Metasploit once it's been tested and working. But I am sure someone here will have more knowledge to give in that realm. Thanks for the link!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good tip - thanks.

@jinverar - the knowledge from this course is very different than what you would do with ruby and python. Assembly is what you would need to know if you had to reverse-engineer malware from an executable for example. The
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Any word as to whether the videos for this one will be available to the public, like he's done with some of his certification programs?
  • dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Not sure about specific for this certification but he has a whole set of Linux Assembly videos.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
    Assembly is definitely the area I feel most lacking in, since I am registering to take OSCP next month...
    dbrink wrote: »
    Not sure about specific for this certification but he has a whole set of Linux Assembly videos.

I tried to access them a couple months back. The websites are still up, but they link to youtube videos and an error pops up indicating that the youtube account is no longer active. If anyone knows where else to go to get these, that would be awesome!!!
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=5 <---I went here and the first two videos played without issue?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Thanks. I'll check it out after work.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    http://www.securitytube.net/groups?operation=view&groupId=5 <---I went here and the first two videos played without issue?

I did check with them regarding the free videos and looks like this course will be paid. They did say they would release a couple of videos for free but all the exercise videos and other things are only for students. So reserving a seat now will be a good idea to avail the good price.

Also, they mentioned that this course will invalidate the older one which was created 3-4 years back and is outdated.
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Assembly is definitely the area I feel most lacking in, since I am registering to take OSCP next month...

Hutch, are you saying you need assembly for the OSCP or that you can't mess with it right now because your OSCP is next month?
    You need it... Somebody who has taken it could answer this more accurately, but from my understanding, the course and exam places a heavy emphasis on crafting buffer overflow attacks with Assembly.
  • dt3kdt3k Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much do the 32 vs 64 bit and Linux vs Intel version vary? I'd imagine the syntax is pretty similar?
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I started watching some youtube videos on assembly and one was a guy programming a microcontroller...it's like eating a box of saltines with nothing to drink
    I also registered in this one....I am very interested in the Crypters section.
    Jinverar, TSS
  • MikeOnTechMikeOnTech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking for a security oriented assembly course for a while. The curriculum for this one looked pretty comprehensive, and it's reasonably priced, so I jumped on the opportunity. I'll might write a review of the course after I obtain the certification if anyone is interested.
    They've started sending the course download links - I just received mine hours back. Was really happy to see this course is very comprehensive - around 9 hours of videos and Vivek spends equal time on assembly language basics and shellcoding (almost a 50:50 split)

I particularly like the exam format - Securitytube Linux Assembly Expert Exam Format They want the students to open a github account and post their code there (open source is as well) and answer 6 assignments in the form of blog posts explaining the techniques. I especially like the write your own encoder and crypter part.

Will be posting a full review soon. I plan to spend the entire weekend to finish viewing all the videos at least.