boot process

hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
So it seems that I have checked page after page on the internet, and have found that the boot process is different with almost each source I get it from. I know important files are necessary for the boot process, like IO.SYS, etc., but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the total list of files are in order, for boot process, because I clearly remember a question on the OS exam asking what the proper sequence was.

Thank you

Comments

• wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't remember what it is for NT but for windows 9x it is IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT. Although CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT are optional.
  • huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For MS-DOS, it is:
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    config.sys
    COMMAND.COM
    autoexec.bat

For Windows 9x:
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    config.sys
    COMMAND.COM
    autoexec.bat
    WIN.COM

For Windows NT/2000/XP:
    NTLDR
    BOOT.INI
    BOOTSECT.DOS
    NTDETECT.COM
    NTBOOTDD.SYS
    NTOSKRNL.EXE
    HAL.DLL
    SYSTEM registry key
    Device drivers

I'll be taking the exam today at 5pm EST. Wish me luck!
  • hamm3rhamm3r Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! So how did you do on that exam? I retake the OS exam tommorow at 2PM Central time at New Horizons!
  • huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol i postponed it again. I'm doing more and more practice exams. I'm not totally confident yet. There are still stuff on XP and networking I gotta kno.
    Took a lot of notes and even more research as I get questions wrong on practice exams. Now need another day to review em, and get it down.