Best Study Book for BGP

Hello all

Im after some advice, which book do you reckon best covers BGP from a beginners perspective. Im in 2 minds in what exam to take CCNA SP or CCNP Route, I work for a Service Provider at the moment so i wanna really learn everything about BGP then maybe MPLS then decide which one to do as i think they are covered in both exams.

Which books would you go for, For the CCNA i read the todd lammle book, felt that went at a good pace for me, nothing too complex.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd start with Internet Routing Architecture. It's a bit dated, but has some good history and basic BGP design principles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    Ok i'll have a look at this, its not too complex is it? I enjoyed the todd lammle, is it only CCNA books he does?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, BGP is a very complex potocol so it does get into some detail. It will be above the CCNA level for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Internet Routing Architectures is a really top quality book and pretty much on everyone's reading list for CCIE RS/SP. Another good resource is TCP/IP Vol2 - there are about 300 pages maybe of BGP in there too with a lot of case studies.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I think IRA is the best one out there personally. Though I also read BGP: Iljitsch Van Beijnum: 9780596002541: Amazon.com: Books, and its def. worth the time. I read both front to back...which is rare for me.
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    I would recommend "BGP Design and Implementation." Internet Routing Architectures is great and TCP/IP Vol II has pretty good coverage, but this book is the one I found to be most useful. It is more up to date and hits the same basic operation that the other two books cover, but also hits things like MPLS, QPPB, RTBH, etc... items that someone who had just read the other two books would probably be seeing for the first time on an exam.

But yeah... no good BGP book will be as light of a read as Lammle's.
  • blueberriesblueberries Banned Posts: 138
    I like Routing TCP/IP Vol. II.