Options

Degree Question

moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey there,

I am currently completing degree in Architectural studies will I be able to finish this degree and get CCNA to enter into Networking position ,I was before this degree following a course in computer networking which I liked only the Cisco papers. I like to pursue Cisco at all cost don't know if it is worth it, already completed Cisco academy course from CCNA 1 to CCNA 4 at 2005 only thing left to do is CCNA examination.

Comments

• Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    It's very simple. If you're in networking...get Cisco. If you don't need it now, you will need it eventually. I'm taking the Academy courses as well trying to finish up CCNA 2. I think it is definetly worth it. :)
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    moss12 wrote:
    Hey there,

I am currently completing degree in Architectural studies will I be able to finish this degree and get CCNA to enter into Networking position
    Your degree plus CCNA would more then likely not qualify you for a network position. Although there are many different types of "network positions", you generally have to have some server experience along with troubleshooting down to the user level.

If you strictly enjoy Cisco, then perhaps pursuing a career as a consultant might be a good idea. You will need much experience to be successful though.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What about help desk? So I can do both jobs Architecture and IT if Architecture position is scarce.
  • Options
    JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    moss12 wrote:
    What about help desk? So I can do both jobs Architecture and IT if Architecture position is scarce.
    You would pursue this career path just like any other, with the exception that you already have CCNA, and a non-IT college degree.

Your main goal after graduating should be gaining experience. It will be harder for you because you have no academic experience in IT (I'm assuming) so you will have to do your best to get an entry-level position where you can prove that you have what it takes to make it to a networking level. Help Desk would be good, but an internship would be better. Internships for networkers can push you past the help desk level if you're lucky enough to get one. I not sure how you would explain to an employer when applying for an internship outside of your major though...

Also consider getting your A+ & Network+ certs to prove your knowledge in desktop support and network troubleshooting. Then consider getting an MCSA/MCSE to finish up your certifications.

By that time you should have a decent foundation to lobby for a good network position. Good luck!