EMCISA v2 study materials

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Forum,

I decided to take on the EMCISA v2 certification and I am having a hard time finding study material for this certification. I see that EMC has their own books/material for this exam but I was hoping to find other publishers such as Sybex and others for similar/cheaper alternative. For anyone who has taken this certification, is EMC the only provider for study material and if not, who else offers study material or even book(s) maybe not about the certification itself, but to help understand the material topics better. I like to cross reference between different publishers to see who explains topics better. Thanks I hope you all can help me.

Comments

• gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need the EMC book, "Information Storage and Management" v.2, and it's only $45 for the hardcover or $33 for Kindle ;)
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ditto... for this test, the ISM book from EMC is what you want.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I own this book but I am looking for other publishers that offer study materials
  • w0rdw0rd Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Read the above again. They recommended the book you want to use for full exam preparation. No one else offers study materials and the above book is well written and not dry.
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I agree wholeheartedly that the above-mentioned EMC book is a good read and worthwhile investment. I passed the N10-001 last week using it as my one and only source of study .
  • xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The book looks great. There are no practice questions for this exam. Where can one obtain practice questions for this examination?
  • ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I'm not aware of there being any practice exams. But if you read the book and take good notes you should pass the exam. It was not that difficult, and I do not recall seeing any question whose answer was not contained in the book.
    There is a practice exam offered by EMC. However, when I took the exam, it was a bit more complex (not by much but some questions were calculation questions which were werid) but pulled through (it's been a year already)
    For this exam I did purchase a great book that explained more about the topics covered in the EMC book and explained it better in my opinion. Here is the link for the book Storage Networking Fundamentals: An Introduction to Storage Devices, Subsystems, Applications, Management, and File Systems (Vol 1): Marc Farley: 0619472051627: Amazon.com: Books I am going to be using this to study for my CompTIA Storage+ certification. Since most of the topics are the exact same, I might as well do IT!
  • drozdroz Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the others on the EMC v2 book is all you need. It translates well into the exam itself. If I recall correctly, the practice exam from EMC was a good indication of the level of questions on the actual exam.
  • j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got the EMC v2 book, and was hoping to find a Stanly CC / North Dallas CC online class to get some hands on. I do have an EMC VNXe, as well as some other iscsi storage devices. As far as practicing concepts, are there any online simulators? Or should I just play in production environments?
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
    Use the VNXe if possible. I had to use a simulator unfortunately icon_sad.gif but it was still worth it.
  • davis226davis226 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there any EMC specific questions on the test....geared to knowing their equipment? Or are the questions more generalized?
  • Mr.FixMr.Fix Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    davis226 wrote: »
    Are there any EMC specific questions on the test....geared to knowing their equipment? Or are the questions more generalized?

The only EMC specific knowledge you need to have that I know of is that you need to know the name of the diffferent EMC products and what they do. For example you should know that a VNX is a unified storage product and that a Data domain is a storage device that is using deduplication.
    When I took the exam (over a year ago) they did have some questions on the EMC specific hardware and software.
  • SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is labbing required for this exam, or can you pass by just reading /learning the book ?