Article: Cisco Exits the Consumer Market, Sells Linksys To Belkin

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
Cisco Exits The Consumer Market As It Sells Linksys To Belkin

Never really used Belkin products, wondering if it's the best move for them. Linksys should just go back to being its own brand name again IMO

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Belkin has historically been a piece of cr*p. This is like BMW buying Ford and then selling it to Daewoo.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Eww....
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Belkin has historically been a piece of cr*p. This is like BMW buying Ford and then selling it to Daewoo.

Good Analogy ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I am glad they will stay focused on their core business.
    Non-native English speaker
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always thoughts Linksys was a far superior product before Ci$co purchased it.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I always hated Belkin. The shame of it is, Linksys use to be an awesome product. I'm still running my 54G that I brought almost nine years ago. When Cisco brought them the product line went to pure crap. I use to tell people to buy their stuff and after two or three caused me tons of headaches I no longer tell people to buy them. Farewell Linksys you were once a great friend!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Funny, Im just returning a Linksys router to Amazon. Had it less than a month and it died. Broadcasts SSID just fine, but you cannot connect anymore. Would not take a reset via the button on back and you cannot log in directly anymore, says password is invalid.
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Excellent. Hopefully this will mean people will stop saying they have a Cisco router on their broadband connection and it turning out to be a Linksys WAG thing.
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love my 54g, those things are so solid. mines still running after god knows how many years. now my e2000 is a piece of junk, and i have to use wifi off the 54g cause the e2000 wifi just doesnt work.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco buying Linksys destroyed what was formerly a good consumer vendor.

I am pretty sure Belkin will not be able to revive it. RIP, Linksys, it was fun while it lasted.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Does anyone know what impact, if any, this will have on the Cisco SMB line? I've been told that they are rebagged Linksys kit.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Belkin was always that "off" product for me. I mean the package design always felt so "blah". I had a Belkin USB four port hub from a few years ago that when I upgraded my PC to Windows 7 last year kept identifying it as a Bluetooth device...
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also agreed with Linksys turning into junk after Cisco bought it. They pretty much just coasted while there competitors made all the innovation. Good riddance they should be focusing on how to replace the revenue stream from all those virtual switches that will be on the market in the next 3-5.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Well, now I am not sure what to buy for home...

Netgear always disappoints in some fatal, but slightly obscure way (and after their NeoTV fiasco I'll be damned if I give them any more of my money).

I have never had a good experience with D-Link routers and gave up on them years ago. Also, their AC adapters fail at a truly impressive rate. Oddly enough, my rock-solid, go-to home switch is a 12 year old D-Link 10/100 switch.

Linksys (since the Cisco purchase) has been "meh", but better than what I got from Netgear of D-Link.

Belkin I actually like for a few select items. Their snagless patch-cables are awesome, their SOHO KVMs are priced right and haven't let me down, but beyond items of that sort, no thanks.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...