Where to start? CCENT/CCNA

lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I've been coming on this site for awhile. I just finished my degree in BS in Information Technology along with having my Network+ and Security+ certification. I have been working in the IT field for years but only dealt with the cabling and installation aspects of the network. Too make a long story short I want to go after the CCNA certification, but want to know what books, study material, equipment, simulators, etc... people are currently using. There is alot of information on this website regarding these topics, but some of the material I was able to navigate to was dated back to 2006. Since its 2013, I am hoping to hear some about things that are currently relevant. Personal experiences are welcomed.

Comments

• fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the standard recommendations around here seem to be wendell odom's books or todd lammle's.
    both look great and comprehensive... but for CCENT at least, i thought they were overkill for my personal experiences.
    I used CBTNuggets and glanced through the CCENT for Dummies book. Pretty much just labbed along with the Nuggets videos in Cisco Packet Tracer. If you don't have access to it, GNS3 is a great option (just overkill for this portion).
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do have Packet Tracer. Thanks for your Input
  • 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have not done so already I would recommend you read through this thread: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA. [Tutorial] by Rougetadhg. It outlines the various study options available, as well as their pros and cons.
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
    Awesome Thanks for the Links.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    I'd strongly recommend the CBT stuff. Well I used there videos along with lammle book/videos, that and youtube, you'll have more than enough material.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Like others said, CBT Nuggets, Youtube videos, and books (a combo of Cisco Press and Lammle is what I used). If you're new to networking, there's a lot to learn at first and it can be overwhelming. The main thing is you just have to immerse yourself and don't look back. I would recommend doing a lot of reading at first, and then move on to some packet tracer labs once you're ready. Good luck!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
    Not new to networking, just want to ensure I'm on the right path when it comes to studying up the material. Been browsing the internet and reading up as much information as I possibly can. Will look into the lammle book. I am currently reading McQuerry part 1.